We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Topic
Snorkling question

What is the best day of the week to go to Xel-ha for snorkling. I have been reading this is the better place to go with the kids to start out as a beginner. I am also wondering if we should book before we leave or can your hotel usually book it for you? Also, Cozumel question, how long of a boat trip is it to go over there? Also Xcaret is something we want to do too! Is there a good day to go. I am starting to want to plan our week a little, but mostly want to keep the kids entertained, with their new snorkle equipment. Thanks!

Chicopee, MA
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkling question

I have heard that if you go on a Sun. it is less crowded. You can book it online, much cheaper if you don't go thru a tour, take a taxi or collectivo(xelha) Have never been to Xcaret. It is about a 45min. ferry to Cozumel from Playa

ama
California
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkling question

I haven't heard that one day is particular more crowded then the other. The key is to get there EARLY to beat the crowds and to see everything. You will be surprised at how fast the day goes. If you book online, you save some $. Just remember to print out a receipt and bring your ID. It's also cheaper if you go there on your own via a collectivo or bus, and you've have more time to spend at the park. The problem with the tours is, while the direct pick up of transportation is nice you are paying lots for it and time is more limited (as you need to pick up and drop off various guests along the way). Xel-Ha is so much fun and definately a highlight of our trip.

As for Xcaret, the easiest is to take a taxi ($8 from PDC one way). Again, remember to get there early. There is so much to see and do. Go to the underground river first, don't miss the butterfly pavilion or sea turtles, and the amazing cultural show at night. You can also book your tickets online if you want to save some $.

As for Cozumel, we didn't go. We found snorkeling at Xel-Ha very good and much easier to get to. I believe the Cozumel ride is roughly 20 minutes long. There's 2 types of ferries, one is supposedly a much more comfortable ride.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkling question

If you have an indoor pool available you can practice snorkeling there. You can get a decent snorkel and Mask at Wal Mart for $20 or so. I learned to breathe through a snorkel at the pool here in las Vegas. Made my first time snorkeling in the ocean go much easier.

Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkling question

Thanks so much for the info. I didnt think anyone saw my post and didnt answer me for a while. I appreciate the info. I was thinking of booking on line, but maybe would pay for it at the hotel but without the tour, what do you think? There are six of us so we would need a bigger vehicle not a tour bus, to take us there early. Do hotels book these for you when we get there?