We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

Hi,

I need help in deciding to stay in cancun or go to playa del carmen (playcar). I went last yr to cancun stayed on the top part of the seven due to the beach. I loved that the water on the beach was really calm almost no waves. I want to know if the beach in Playa del carmen similar to the top of the seven in cancun. Or are they high waves? I ve going in the second week of May. Traveling with a 2 and half yr old.

thanks

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

Will all depend upon the weather conditions. We've seen it dead calm many, many times and also huge waves.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

Thanks for responding Bobfrombc!

Ok so is playcar the best beach in playa del carmen or it there a more calmer beach?

Ive been once there in playa del carmen for a day but unfortunally we went before the rain was going to star so I though the waves were because of that.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

I've stayed on the top of the 7 in Cancun and in comparison to Playa its really calm. I've been to Playa and Playacar many of times and my experience it's definitely rougher. There's been a few times we where there it was red flagged. IMO if your looking for that calm bay like water your better off in the top Cancun. I prefer Playa over Cancun but will admit the top is nice especially for kids or adults who are not strong swimmers.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
275 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

Thanks dkcap for the quick response really helpful.

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

We were at Playacar Palace last year during May and a previous poster is correct: depends on the weather that day. We had several days of calm water, small waves and enjoyed wading and swimming the water. Have been in Cancun previously and found that water to be much rougher, but we were at Sun Palace so it may be different on that end. Love PDC!

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
275 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Sun Palace
Sun Palace
6,574 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

Or hit a resort thats in a bay... Such as barcelo. Water will be calmer there and theres great snorkeling but beach could be better.

Playacar like bob said can be like glass or you can get 4-6 footers avg id say are about 2 footers.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

-what is meant by the top of the seven in cancun? Is that just a specific area of beach in Cancun?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

The hotel zone is shaped like a seven.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

thanks everyone for your help on answering my question. I really apreciate it :)

10. Re: beach water from playcar compared to top of the 7 cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 19, 2015