We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card fraud Alert

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York, New York...
5 posts
Save Topic
Credit card fraud Alert

This is to give heads up to members on this forum. On Dec 1 we rented a car from a company called Gane Rent a car, it is located right by the ADO bus station. The guy (name Angelo i think) gave us a clunker. We paid all the money in cash. He took a copy of my credit card. We returned the next day and all seemed ok. Until a week later i noticed i had been charged $700 as rental charge. I am fighting with credit card company to get my money back. Stay clear of this cheat!!!.

New York, New York...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

This is their number +52 984 121 0005

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

Always rent from trusted companies

Any reason you rented from this company

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
246 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

And it happens EVERYWHERE!!! Even in our little Arizona retirement community!!

Husband happened to check his balance on Saturday & it seemed "short" - lo & behold several thousand $$$ were charged against it in MANY MANY transactions - many with foreign transaction fees (San Paolo, Germany, Mexico...) XBox LIve, internet services, names of people (maybe a $$ transfer)... Not sure why the bank didn't do a stop/fraud alert on the account (they've done that in the past if we've gone away for the weekend & not called in advance)... We think that the card was compromised at local gas station... And a headache to get it all unravelled!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

My CC number was stolen in Mexico in June and they waited until mid-November to use it. So I figure it was stolen in the hotel I stayed at in Puerto Adventuras or one of 4-5 places I used it at while visiting PDC. $1300 at Walmart and Liverpool in and around Veracruz. I know it was stolen while in Mexico as that was the first and last time I used the card. Fortunately It doesn't cost me a dime and I can't wait to come back to PDC in late January!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,395 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

The OP's case is a little different than the standard credit card fraud that we usually see where someone at one business skims the card info and then uses that info to create a new card and purchase things or services at entirely different businesses. In this case, the OP paid for a service in cash and then the business charged his card for the same service (at a seriously inflated price). We know EXACTLY who the scammer is and that this particular business is a problem.

To the OP - I hope you are successful in getting your money back - and you should be. This is clearly fraud and everybody knows it. And because it is on a card, you are protected from fraud.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

exactly november.

i was kinda thinking that maybe they hadnt released the hold that was placed on the card, like they all do when you rent a car there. usually its about 500 usd for the hold....sometimes its more.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,048 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

I hope he saved his receipt that he already paid it in cash, or there's probably nothing the credit card company can do for him. They might think that's the car rental charge if he doesn't have a receipt for the cash payment.....

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,395 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

Having the receipt is always good, and with it, the situation should be cleared up almost immediately - if this $700 isn't in fact a hold on the card that just hasn't been released yet, as CDL mentioned. Without the receipt though, the credit card company still should be able to do something. The consumer protection laws regarding credit cards issued by US companies are pretty good. The burden of proof for fraud is on the merchant, not the consumer.

New York, New York...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

No, without the recept the credit card company cannot do anything. Apparently, all that the merchant has to prove is that i used by credit card willingly (which he can because he has the impression of my credit card).

Is there any consumer protection agency in mexico i can write to or contact?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,434 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit card fraud Alert

"Is there any consumer protection agency in mexico i can write to or contact?"

You need to pursue this with your credit card company. I am pretty surprised that they're saying they can't do anything - the charge is fraudulent, pure and simple. Which credit card company are you dealing with?