We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Burlington...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Topic
Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

I haven't had a moment to write another review of the resort but in short...it was another fantastic stay. We were there in July and back again from October 29th-November 5th. I took additional videos of the resort and posted to Youtube on the following link if you're interested. The videos cover the grounds, Yucatan Villa room, Laguna pool area and the swim up area.

youtube.com/channel/UCD2tvgVDHEEF37OQk_zfZeQ

Just an fyi for those of you researching the resort or just seeking more videos on the Grand Riviera/Grand Sunset Princess hotel in Playa del Carmen.

Cheers,

Kelly

Cologne, Minnesota
Level Contributor
177 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

I love your videos Kelly, thanks for posting them after every trip! I can't wait to go back, but these carry me through. :-).

You have to tell me though, between the Yucatans and the Lagunas, which do you prefer?

Burlington...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

Laguna Villas are still the best! I book the locations based on our travel budget at the time but if money wasn't a factor, I'd go Laguna every time for sure. It's just a very relaxing and lovely location on the resort to enjoy a book, swim, or chatt with other couples around the deck. The walk to the front restaurants in the evening is quick and the walk to the beach is far from a hardship....gorgeous surroundings!

The Yucatan Villa adults only is also a bit isolated, quiet and nice....no complaints whatsoever! But the Lagunas just seem one step above. If you book Laguna request a bottom floor room for the outdoor Mayan shower....we love room 9005...close to the pool pathway, nice view of the Laguna area and bottom floor.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the compliment!

Cheers,

Kelly

Cherry Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

Hi all,

I love looking at the videos you posted, gives me an idea of what the place will be like though I am so excited to actually be there! We will be arriving on Nov. 16th. I was wondering if any of you could maybe help answer a few questions regarding the platinum if you've ever stayed platinum. If not, you might not be able to help me. :)

How exactly does the platinum work? I've read a lot of reviews about the resort and how many people don't realize the benefits of the platinum section until after they've been there a few days. Anything we should know that they might not come out and share? Are there any rooms that have even a little bit of an ocean view? I requested as much of an ocean view as possible but I know there are trees blocking it so wasn't sure how close we would actually be even if they are able to honor my request. Being close to the ocean with the possibility for an ocean view is really the only reason I chose platinum instead of Yucatan or Laguna. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with one of those instead! I just love the sound of the ocean when we are vacation so I wanted to be as close as possible!

Also, do you have any recommendations on excursions and/or the best place to book them? This is our first time to Mexico and we are a little lost overall. :) We did get a lot of info from some other TA members on the restaurants, but do you have any favorites or must tries? Thanks for your help! It is appreciated! :)

Edited: 9:43 am, November 08, 2013
Cologne, Minnesota
Level Contributor
177 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

Hi Kelly,

I love the Lagunas and agree - the bottom floor rooms are the best. Our favorite is 9017 because you can see what is going on in the pool area. You just have to be careful in the mornings - more than once I've been out on the balcony half awake with my coffee and the staff is over at the pool waving and saying good morning! We've walked around the Yucatan area and really enjoy the Grand Yucatan lounge, but I've never stayed in one of those rooms, so I was wondering what they were like. I'm already planning to go back!

Angie - I just posted a reply to your thread with info about the Riviera/Sunset Platinum. I'm sure Kelly has some great tips too!

Burlington...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

Among other things the platinum suites are located in the buildings closest to the beach yet there are only 20 rooms total that can actually be considered as beach view...it's just the way the layout is. There is a private Platinum pool in the building area on each side but as mentioned it's not adults only so not on the top of my list like the Laguna and Yucatan areas. With Platinum as well as Laguna and Yucatan, you get free wifi in your room, computers to use free of charge in the lounge and full access to a concierge who makes your reservations for you. You are barely in the room so in my opinion booking isn't so much based on the room stuff as what else you get....if you are considering a booking Spangie definitely book platinum or better.....worth it!

Have a great day,

Kelly (Lovlos)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
240 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

I will be staying in the Grand Yucatan Princess section on Jan 10-24. Does anyone know the price to upgrade to the villas(lagunas). Thanks

Edited: 3:08 pm, November 08, 2013
Burlington...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

Here is the email for the front desk at the resort. Give them your confirmation number and ask them about an upgrade price...you never know.

rrpp.concierge.riviera@princess-hotels.com

8. Re: Home again from the Grand Riviera Princess

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 10, 2014