We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Riviera Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Does anybody know if Riu Palace Riviera Maya will be under construction in March 2015. I might have heard that and I am interested in going at that time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

You could always go the the riu palace mexico which just under went a total renovation last year. Larger beach then RPRM.

right there
Level Contributor
346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I hope they aren't going to remodel to look like the riu palace Mexico. I like the current look.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Haven't heard anything about the RPRM but there are tentative plans for the Playacar which needs it a lot more than the RPRM. The Playacar was supposed to happen next year but apparently there's been a year delay. Again, everything is rumour until there's an official announcement by Rius. You can bet your bottom $ that any changes will be like the RPM and Yucatan. That is until those architects are fired. lol

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
251 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Then let's all pray for the firing of the architects! I find the new look to be very trashy Vegas. We leave for RPRM on the 20th. I will continue to stay there until they update it to the new burlesque style then I'll need to find someplace else to stay. Might be back to the Iberostar.

Chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I agree. I LOVE the traditional Riu decor. The modern look it was too glitzy and NON tropical for me. I do have to say the rooms look a lot more comfortable in the new ones but I don't like the glitzy theme.

MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Having stayed at both designs (many times) Mexico, Aruba, Punta Cana... I much prefer the older style. Not just the overall decor, but the design of the guest rooms are not family friendly.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I agree luv2travel, no way I'd take family or even two people who are not a couple to the Riu Palace Mexico. But for a couple, no problem.

Hollis, NH
Level Contributor
227 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

We are booked next week for the Riu Palace Mexico. This is our first time at a Riu and a resort that allows children under 16yrs. After reading so much about the "new look" of this resort and the fact that the rooms are not very family friendly, I wonder if that is exactly what the Riu chain is focusing on. Perhaps they are tired of folks complaining about children misbehaving in the restaurants, pools, etc. and are looking to attract more couples? I hope we didn't make a mistake by booking there as we have been going to The Royal at Playa del Carmen for the past 8 years and just thought a change would be nice.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

We've only seen one little devil, and he was about 12, in the 19 weeks we've stayed at the RPM. All the others were extremely well behaved. Peg, most kids will be in school when you're there. I should add that the RPM does have some rooms with a curtain between the bathroom and the bed area for families.If the rumours hold true for the Playacar it will be converted into a new adults only Palace like the Macao in Punta Cana.

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
345 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Peg

the only thing i really found wrong with the RPM was the lighting, it was far too 'white' they made it feel cold and uninviting. a warmer 'white' would have looked and felt more 'homely' if that makes sense.

while we were there a few families from chile stayed too, so there must be 'family' rooms available.

my gf's gripe was that the new decor didnt look 'palacial' like the RPRM. i saw her point, but i actually prefer the new look.