We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At the Riu Yucatan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
At the Riu Yucatan

Arrived Sept 3- been wonderful so far! Suite is great, food' beach the same. No mosquito problem at all! Feel free to ask questions

midlands
Level Contributor
158 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

Is the sun bed issue as bad as people have mentioned, we like the beach in morning and in the afternoon. But not getting up a silly o'clocks for the sake of a bed.

Which room blocks are closet to the beach?

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

I'm here at the moment to and I have been bitten but since buying and using 'off' my bites have decreased. No issues getting a bed at the beach or the quiet Ibiza pool but is a nightmare getting a bed at the main pool as people are getting up as early as 4am to reserve a bed. Even the naughty Tequilia guests are grabbing beds.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

We just arrived home last week and loved it. Our rooms were 5220 and 5221. Perfect and very close to the pool. We had no choice to also go out early and reserve our chairs. We found if we went out by 7:30 am that we still had a good selection.

midlands
Level Contributor
158 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

Just had email back from thomson who have said they are not aware of any problems with reserving of sun beds as the problem had not been raised in resort or that other hotel users are using the beds, so if it is a problem it needs drawing to the attention or the rep and hotel.

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

The beach is never a problem. There were even workers from the hotel who would grab you a lounger and carry it to the spot you wanted to sit. They have barriers now, so you cannot take them close to the water- only to a certain point. As for rooms, I was in Block 5- room 5314- perfect- middle block- closest to beach and pools- even with an ocean view! I did not have the mosquito problem others talk about- it may be the outside blocks, closest to habitat? It may be me?

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

I was there Sept 3-8- just got back. Not one problem with mosquitos, but did see others with bites on their legs. I did not use the spray I had brought at all. As for loungers, and as I had a room close to pools with a great view (5314), I would watch people come out in the morning and place towels during the rain on loungers- with no intent on using them until later- I suppose they would just turn in the wet towels for dry ones when they finally chose to sit. The pools did get crowded when the sun was out, as to be expected, but that was usually by afternoon. As far as I could see, you could still get a lounger by 10am, even later, if you did not mind the lack of shade.

Edited: 4:27 am, September 09, 2013
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
806 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

Was the gym included in the renovations?

yorkshire england
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

What beer do they serve at the yucatan? Is there a bar on the beach that serves drinks beer etc. and snacks throughout the day?

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

Dos Equis at all the Rius in Playacar.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: At the Riu Yucatan

I have not raised the sun bed issue with the reps because I go down the beach most days so I'm not bothered. I can't believe the reps here on the resort really don't know about the sunbed issues, I'm quite sure people have complained but in saying that i am sure people get beds. the beach and sea really is beautiful. There is a bar by the main pool, overlooking the beach that serves drinks and there is a separate sit down food resturant by main pool to.