We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which To Choose: Reef Playacar or Reef Coco Beach?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which To Choose: Reef Playacar or Reef Coco Beach?

Hola,

I'm looking at both the Reef Resorts and would like feedback from anyone who has stayed at either or both. Thank you :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which To Choose: Reef Playacar or Reef Coco Beach?

I hope you get some great feedback, as I am booked at the Reef Playacar for Sep. I have not yet been to either one, but I did look at both resorts quite a bit and what swayed me to choose the Playacar location were two things: one, the beech club Nico's and two, the fact that the reviews stated the Coco location had a lot of boats in the water and sometimes you could smell the fuel. I love boats and love to see them out there on the water, but don't want to swim near them (too chicken) and don't want to smell fuel. We did like the idea of the beech front rooms at Coco though. I think Reef gets just slightly better reviews and it appears to be undergoing some room renovations. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what kind of feedback you get!

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which To Choose: Reef Playacar or Reef Coco Beach?

Mamabaer,

I agree with you on all fronts. I really love an ocean front room so I am swaying towards Coco Beach. I have stayed at Playa Palms and there were several boats moored in the water right on the shore and I wasn't a fan of that.. Kind of had to wade out between them. Not sure if the boats are out a ways into the water at Coco Beach but if that was the case, I would be ok with that. It's a toss up!

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which To Choose: Reef Playacar or Reef Coco Beach?

Mamabaer,

I think I have been swayed. I've messaged one of the Playa Experts about these two resorts and he highly suggested The Reef Playacar. All in all I like the cozy jungly feel of this little resort, also the beach looks incredible. I will just have to do without the ocean front room. I hope you have a great time in September! Would love to hear about it :)

Dreams.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which To Choose: Reef Playacar or Reef Coco Beach?

And the Reef Playacar is about a 15 minute walk to Playa del Carmen.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which To Choose: Reef Playacar or Reef Coco Beach?

Dreams32,

Great to hear! And it's good to hear that a Playa expert recommended the Reef. It's been getting quite a bit of negative reviews lately, but I'm hoping that it will still be a good fit for me. We went to Secrets Maroma last year for our honeymoon and while it was rated #1 at the time, I didn't care for it, and wouldn't go back, so I'm hoping I'm just one of those crazy people who like the things that most folks don't. I do love the idea of a smaller, more casual resort, that's for sure. And I LOVE the idea that this resort is walking distance to Playa. I'll be sure to post a review. I've never posted a review before, so I should probably start doing that and giving back a little. :-) Only 29 more days to go!!!

6. Re: Which To Choose: Reef Playacar or Reef Coco Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 24, 2014