We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why all inclusive?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Why all inclusive?

I am wondering why people choose to stay in an all-inclusive hotel when visiting the area. I have been to Playa del Carmen several times and could never see myself staying at the hotel all day and night when there are so many great places to eat in town. There are also many attractions, such as Akumal Bay, Tulum, Coba, etc. that are worth seeing. I would like to know what the benefits are to stay in an all-inclusive resort. Perhaps I just enjoy eating at different places and getting out and seeing the area.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Why all inclusive?

We've done the AI in several places in Mexico and never stayed within the resort 24/7 but plenty of people sure did. We'd have breakfast there and then head out to explore the area on our own, no organized tours. We'd have lunch out somewhere fun and interesting that we discovered. Sometimes we'd eat dinner out sometimes we'd eat at the resort.

I too dont understand why people would go that far and spend all that money and never go look at the area around them, I think they miss out on so much. My husband liked the AI idea at first because he liked knowing everything was sorted out before we left home and he knew he'd have 3 meals a day waiting for him if he wanted to eat at the resort. Now that we've gone to several places and done a lot of things he doesnt feel the need anymore for an AI, he found he likes fending for himself.

We'd never do an AI again, we've been staying at small area hotels and eating meals wherever we choose. I like the freedom of going where we want, when we want.

One good thing with an AI is that transfers to and from the airport are included so that's one less thing to have to figure out on our own but it's not enough to make us want to do AIs again.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Why all inclusive?

I choose AI's because of the convenience. I still go out to local restaurants and excursions. Just because I go AI doesn't mean I never leave the resort. I think that is a misconception.

pickering
Level Contributor
73 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Why all inclusive?

we have travelled to many places and this is our first time doing AI. Im thinking we want to give it a try...plus if we want to venture off like we usually do we have that option, we are not stuck at the resort. But I do like to option of having not to worry about many things and easy access to whats on the resort

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Why all inclusive?

We have done both. If we stay on the mainland we do AI as I really do not enjoy downtown Playa. Our most enjoyable trip was last year to Isla Mujeres. No hassels when downtown and so easy to get around in a golf cart. We will still go back to Playa some, but we would not do the condo thing like we will in Isla. JMHO

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Why all inclusive?

Jeanh, I so agree with the not dressing for dinner. Mr yurf doesn't even own a pair of pants, so we don't choose the fancy schmancy resorts.

Also, the convenience of AIs really makes it easier for us to get out on our adventures. We have backpacked from hostel to hostel for weeks at a time in South America, etc. And that is great. We still like to travel without reservations to odd places. But lately we are so busy at our real lives, it's nice to have a vacation where you don't have to rush if you don't want to.

Funny, I don't get the excitement over expensive bus excursions and eco-parks, but I don't start threads that judge people who do.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Why all inclusive?

Just because someone does AI does not mean they don't leave the resort. I would say I spend half my time on the resort. I just like to have the option because in the end I pay as much for an AI and I would for a non AI so why not. If I want a drink or room service its covered. I honestly only eat a dinner or two at the resort and breakfast. Otherwise I am eating in PDC or cancun. I never understood how people can sit on a resort day in and day out and think they are world travellers lol. To each their own I suppose.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Why all inclusive?

Yeah it sure is each to their own. I have a friend that had a super stressful job and a vacation to her was sitting by the pool at an AI in the Dominican and letting someone bring her drinks while she read a book. I could stay home and do that for way less money. But she liked it, which is what matters.

We'd never go to a hotel where you have to dress up for dinner, that just would not work for us. But if you like that, then great.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Why all inclusive?

Dressing up is khaki pants and a $10 polo. Where do you live that you don't have those kind of clothes or a 'pair of pants'....I am always at a loss when I read stuff like this. I've lived in Ilinois, Ohio and NY. This kind of attire is standard for the likes of Olive Garden around here. What parts of the US do people get away with not owning a pair of khakis? I know everyone is different but I just can't imagine not having this kind of stuff as part of your wardrobe. then again- my husband is required to wear a full suit to work everyday so I'm guessing our jobs might have something to do with it. I also have to dress up for work.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Why all inclusive?

Obviously Santa Cruz, California.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Why all inclusive?

Quite different here in the woods in California. Most of the men at church on Sunday are fine in jeans and lumberjack shirts. Hubby is just not comfortable in long pants, so wears shorts year round.

And he actually does own a suit, and I think a pair of khakis for work meetings, so I was exaggerating a bit. But, the point is, on vacation, he doesn't want to have to get more dressed up than a day at work And in the tropics...sundresses are fine for me, but why wear more clothes than you want to in all that humidity.

and funkynassau brings up yet another good point about AIs. I couldn't spend everyday of vacation reading by the pool while someone brings me drinks, but it sure as heck is nice to spend a couple of days that way. Especially after a year of full time work and full time grad school. At an AI, I can choose that without fumbling for cash or a credit card.