We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Playa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timer to Playa

We are going to Playa in 2 weeks and are looking for some fun activities and a nice beach. We are staying at the Mahekal Beach Resort. We would like to scuba, but are not certified. We are looking at Xcaret park and maybe the Cenot Chaak Tun. Any suggestions?? A nice bar on the beach?

Any advice and previous experiences are very much welcome.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Playa

Xel-Ha is a better option look into that,compare and then decide.ZeZe

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Playa

Wah Wah Beach Bar is a great place, 2 4 1 pizza on Tues. and a pulled pork bbq buffet on Sun! Live music, lots of fun.

Quincy...
Level Contributor
200 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Playa

I have to agree with Wah Wah. That's our spot to spend on the beach. This year we do plan on hitting the North Side of Playa and will probably check out the more trendier beach clubs but if the music gets too lound annoying we can always go back to Wah Wah.

Fusion Beach club also has night shows like Belly Dancing and Fire Shows on the beach if that's something your'e interested in.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Playa

Wah Wah is great. Stay with Excaret, much more to do then all water activities like at Xel Ha. . Cenot Chaak Tun is amazing. Cold water but worth every minute.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,805 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Playa

The beach in front of Mahakel is one of the best. Mamita's and Kool's beach clubs are a short walk south of Mahakel and very popular. I would agree that Wah Wah's Beach Bar down on the beach and 2 Calle, and the Fusion Hotel at 6 Calle and the beach would be great places to hang out. I would suggest you do a little beach bar hopping and check them all out. The Canibal Royal is north along the beach and it's also a nice place to hang out.

Check out www.mexicobluedream.com for that scuba dive. They are located behind Kool's Beach club in the condo building housing Aldea Thai. They are right on 28 Calle real close to the beach, about 350 yards south of Mahakel.

Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to Playa

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice. Please keep ti coming. Anyone have a favorite ruins site? I am kind of a history dork. LOL

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,805 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to Playa

Chichen Itza is one of the 7 modern day wonders of the world, but it's a long way to go, a full day. Use a tour group like Yucatreks to see it. Tulum Ruins is the most tourist friendly and can be done on your own, it's about an hour south of Playa and you can take the ADO bus from their station at Juarez and 5th Avenue non stop, 60 pesos per person (about 5.00 usd). You can then walk south and explore some of the beach clubs in Tulum, take a taxi back to the ADO station in Tulum and then head backl to Playa, nice day trip. Coba is about 45 minutes west of Tulum and a little more of a challenge than Tulum, but well worth the effort.

Xcaret is another all day adventure that can be done on your own. It's about a 140 pesos taxi ride, about 8 miles south of Playa. Make sure you stay for the "Espectacular Show" which ends about 9:30 PM.

Matt’s youtube Dec 2012

www.youtube.com/watch…

Austin
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to Playa

Some really good advice here. In so far as dive certification, check-in at the on-site dive shop at Mahehal. You may be able to receive instuction there in the resort pool for that certification.

Long Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer to Playa

I highly recommend to take the Ferry from Playa to Cozumel to dive, its spectacular!

Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer to Playa

Can anyone tell me how to book the Cenote Chaak Tun and how much it costs? The webssite on tripadvisor does not provide much detailed info.