We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Riviera Maya Hotels

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,420 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
New Riviera Maya Hotels

According to today's Novedades newspaper, the Hyatt Corporation has announce the construction of 3 new hotels in the area. These are the Park Hyatt, the Andaz and the Hyatt Mayakoba Playa. All are expected to open by 2016. These are all smaller luxury hotels between 213 and 332 rooms.

Hyatt has not been very active in the area and nice to see them expanding. What I am happy to see is that more non AI resorts are being added,

sipse.com/novedades/preparan-construccion-de…

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

Ha — "smaller". :-)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,420 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

Yes, compared to the mega resorts in the area, they are smaller. Compared to some of the local hotels, they are large. All depends on how you look at it. They not large resorts by any means.

Edited: 6:55 am, June 08, 2013
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

Are there building codes in Playa that restrict the height of buildings or hotels to be exact?

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

They're definitely large to us. :-)

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

"Are there building codes in Playa that restrict the height of buildings or hotels to be exact?"

Yes. Creates a major distinction in atmosphere between Playa and Cancun or Cozumel. There are also restrictions on the number of units a property can create and offer for rent depending on its area.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

I hope it stays that way. I'm assuming its 4 or 5 floors max?

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

I believe it is 4 floors max

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

Well YMMV: some people/ordinances indicate (or indicated) a number of floors (including or excluding the ground level, especially if it doesn't have rentable units?), but others just a maximum height (measured from/to...? including or excluding "non-permanent rooftop structures?). I'll just say that if you walk around, it's hard to see the floors approach as very evident any more...

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

The problem I have with these resorts is this:

I am betting they will be built 'in the middle of nowhere'. So when they make NON AI resorts in places like this you are basically stuck to pay crazy high prices for your meals unless you want to cab it for every meal elsewhere. Build me a true resort with 200 rooms close to PDC that is NOT AI and NOT condo and I'd jump right on it. There really aren't any true resorts that are within walking distance to PDC (at least none I'm interested in staying at)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Riviera Maya Hotels

One of the hyatt's being built is located next to the Royal Playa Del Carmen on 26th and 1st- two blocks from 5th avenue