We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Playacar Hotel Opinions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu Playacar Hotel Opinions

I've heard quite a few negative comments about this AI resort regarding a musty smell, inadequate air conditioning, "blood on the towels" (uh-oh) yet others were very postive.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Playacar Hotel Opinions

' how about a beach in lower Playacar?

LIZ
Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Playacar Hotel Opinions

We stayed at the Riu Playacar last June and November... Yes, the room had a musty smell but we were prepared for it... We brought a couple of plug-in type deodorizers and Frebreze... We didn't find it any worse than any other tropical resort we've ever been to...

The air conditioning was fine for us... Just make sure the housekeeper doesn't turn the power off in the room... There's a red switch near the door that they sometimes shut off when they leave the room... We just put a piece of adhesive tape over it with 'no' written on it...

Everything in the room was extremely clean, including the towels...

I can't speak for everyone's experiences but we had no problems... We'd go back again but we like to try new places like Sunscape Puerto Aventuras in May...

winnipeg
Level Contributor
489 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Playacar Hotel Opinions

We'll be there on the 27th. I'll be sure to report back. I was wondering about the view from the third floor. Does anyone have any idea which rooms face east towards the ocean? Are they the suites or regular rooms? Any room numbers for oceanview?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Playacar Hotel Opinions

Liz,

How does PDC compare to Cancun. I haven't been to either but it seems like Ocean City vs. Sea Isle.

Thanks.

LIZ
Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Playacar Hotel Opinions

TheO'Rielly

Cancun reminds me of Miami Beach, lots and lots of high-rise hotels...

Of course, PDC has grown considerably since we were first there in 1996, but it still manages to have some charm... And it can be quiet or not, as you choose... There are plenty of party places in town and places where you can just sit, have a drink and watch the world go by...