We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

I LOVED my vacation in Playa del Carmen and the Riu Tequila was one of the primary reasons!! I posted a review on the hotel page on TA (still being published) so feel free to read it for an in depth review of the hotel.

When we arrived in PDC, we arranged round trip shuttle service with Best Day Travel ($90 TOTAL). When you leave baggage claim follow the signs to exit the airport and DO NOT SPEAK TO ANYONE. There will be tons of people trying to coerce you come to their table but JUST KEEP WALKING. Once you exit the airport, you will see all the travel/transfer people out waiting for their customers. The drive to PDC was about 40 mins (you may have to drop off other people to their hotels). Riu Tequila is in a gated community surrounded by trees and wildlife-- just gorgeous!!

We enjoyed our time there, minus the beds-- it was hard and uncomfortable. :o( The beach was breathtaking!! The walk from Riu Tequila to the beach is about 5 mins down a covered/shaded walkway. Fifth avenue was a less than 5 minute cab drive for $7 US or about a 25 minute walk. We also took a scooter (rented from Riu Tequila) to 5th as well.

Well... Enough talking, I'll just open the floor for you all to ask questions about the hotel or the city!!! Reading and asking questions on here really helped me prepare for my trip so I thought it would only be right to pay it forward!!

NOTE: We did not do any of the excursions (e.g., Xel-ha, Xcaret, Tulum) so I can't speak on any of those things-- sorry!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

Thanks Anita. And sunandstars you have been a valuable resource! I will visit the travel agent this weekend and discuss. My last worry is that the Tequila may be TOO lively for us, perhaps a little on the loud side? It is the most popular choice at our local travel agent so I am sure there is a reason for that, but we like to get away from the noise too if we want to. Is that a possibility at the Tequila? Also, in the Iberostar another bonus was jungle facing rooms. We haven't upgraded for a beach view as aren't that fussy, but what do the rooms at the Tequila overlook. Also the Yucatan if anyone knows?

vancouver
Level Contributor
603 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

maegan- The layout for the Tequila is great as most of the action is in the lobby where the buffet, bar,disco and live show are at. The rooms are toward the back of the property behind the lobby. The view from the rooms look out onto the property from the back and in towards the pool etc. from the front. They also have a nice quiet bar in the middle of the resort at night. It is the backside of the swimup bar. We would go there and have a chocolate martini and sometimes play cards.

If you want more info you can go to www.riubambu.com. It is an unofficial site for Riu fans.

Good luck in your decision.

Edited: 6:19 pm, June 06, 2013
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

Thanks sunandstars I will definitely take a look. Thanks for your time.

Barnsley, England
Level Contributor
807 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

Maegan - as sunandstars has said, there are definitely areas where it isn't as lively and to be honest we've never found it to be too noisy, you definitely won't hear any bar/music noise from your room - you may hear people walking down the corridors and slamming doors as there are some inconsiderate people sometimes! -the Tequila is also in a 'jungle' setting so the rooms overlook palm trees etc. We've just booked again for next year - it will be our 7th time!

Porthcawl, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

Anyone been to the Jungle Spa? How far away is it from Riu Tequila?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

How far away from the Tequilla us the RPRM and the RPM? Is is just a short walk? Is the pool at the Tequilla big?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,796 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

RPM is directly across the street from the Tequila. RPRM 6 resorts closer to town, maybe 10 minute walk.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

I have to disagree that the construction on the beach from the Yucatan was loud. I did not hear anything! Now, maybe things have picked up a bit since I was there but I honestly forgot there was construction going on until I had to pass by it during the walks to/from the beach. The beach is gorgeous on the Tequila/Yucatan side and the Playacar isn't much further up the beach so I honestly don't get how people can distinguish one part from the other-- it's all the same in my opinion.

And yes, the noise at the Tequila was also non-existent in my opinion. I was in building 32 (not that great of a view depending on which way you're facing) but I don't think we heard a single peep the entire time. As someone else said, all of the rooms are separated from the main lobby/restaurant/theater area so the only noise you'd hear would be from other guests. AND the pool closes at 8pm so you don't have to worry about pool noise neither if your building is close. In some great way, Tequila is great at accommodating those who want to party the night away and those who want a quiet, peaceful get away.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

*sigh* Going back and reading through this thread makes me want to go back SO BAD!! LOL

Edited: 7:24 pm, June 12, 2013
Philly
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Back from Riu Tequila-- ask away!!

How was your experience getting reservations for dinner? Any issues?

I'm weighing all my options of places close to Playa but I am suffering from information overload! lol