We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

My bf and I have the expensive pleasure of being invited to 2 destination weddings next year within 2 months of each other. Lucky for us, they are on opposite sides of Mexico. However, when we saw the price of the one at the Principe Akumal, we gasped - and we understand why its so much more expensive than our destination wedding trip to the Riu Jallisco - April vs June. So we are wondering if its possible to cut some costs. The wedding package lists only the Junior Superior suite price - however we know that the Akumal offers a Superior room and the wedding travel agent is hopefully going to provide us with the cost of the superior room.

So - is the Junior Superior Suite worth the extra cash? The Junior Superior suite offers promised garden or sea views, the hydromassage bath, an in room coffee machine, mini bar and sofa bed over the Superior room. None of which I NEED in my room (well, maybe the mini bar). So thoughts as to if the Junior Superior is worth it?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

Hi just a thought have you had prices for grand Bahia coba or tulum , all together and you can use all 3 complexes I've not stayed in akumal , just other 2 all rooms are lovely so I wouldn't upgrade not worth it

fife
Level Contributor
617 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

I totally agree kazbobbiei :-). Coba junior suites were lovely. Garden or pool view, large rooms and the bonus of using facilities,pools and all a la carte restaurants . We loved our stay at coba

Dawn

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

We used to live in Edmonton so I feel your pain about air prices to Cancun from there a compared to going to PV.

Look at the prices for the other sections. You don't have to stay in the Akumal section. Have a look at the Cuba. It's all jr. Suites. If you are travelling without children and you don't mind being on the other side of the highway from the rest of the wedding, you might be able to score a cheap place in the all adult Sian Ka'an.

Also shop around on line for the best deal as well as seeing what your TA can come up with. We've done better with air and hotel separate. Try all the usual on line travel sites and play with dates too. Makes a difference in air fare.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

Some important info - please read - not sure of the previous posters input??

1) Bahia is represented in the Akumal forum / not Playa - you will get much better info posting it there - but I can give you my advice and my son was married 2 years ago in Bahia Akumal so PM me with more info (Our wedding went through Air Transit and I can give you their rep's name)

2) 90% of the Bahia Akumal rooms are the same - all rooms have coffee machines, same tub, mini bar fridge and are the SAME - just different locations

3) every suite gives you a garden or ocean views: however 'golden upgrades' give you the same type of room but possible ocean front / views rooms, an extra alacarte , robes, slippers, private checkin - BUT MORE $

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

I meant Coba, not Cuba... stupid spell check on my tablet. If you do decide to stay in that part, have a look at the map of the resort and email a request to the reset for a room in a building by the quiet pool. The activity pool I believe now has a waterslide and was quite loud even without it.

You are so fortunate to be on both sides next year!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

We want to stay at the Bahia to be with the wedding group and we looked at Coba and Tulum prices and its virtually the same for the time period we are going. Still havent heard back from the wedding rep on the Superior prices and we are slowly beginning to think if theres a chance there is no mini bar in the Superior room (it says there is not a mini bar in those rooms), we may splurge. I mean, the bars apparently close at 11pm - gonna need to move the party to the rooms I think!

Also, a baby is involved in the wedding party (not ours, he belongs to the bride and groom) and to be helpful, we've like to be close to everyone else so we can take turns watching the little toddler.

7. Re: Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:43 pm, May 22, 2013
8. Re: Grand Bahia Principe Akumal - Junior Suite or Superior room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 24, 2014