We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exhange dollars to pesos best place

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Exhange dollars to pesos best place

What is the best place to exhange dollars to pesos nearest to 24th & 10th Ave.?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

Scotia Bank on Constituyentes and 10 Ave, about 2 blocks from you. You MUST bring passport when exchanging at banks. If you are staying at a condo, use your dollars at Mega or Walmart shopping and you will get a better rate than the banks. Mega yesterday was 12.05 per USD and Scotia Bank was 11.65

United States
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

Why exchange? If all you have is dollars, use them. They take them freely almost every place you will be in PDC. In fact, they usually give your balance in what you owe "in dollars" and you have to ask for the "peso amount " if you want to pay in Pesos.

For me, I take all pesos and a dc/cc for back-up. I get the pesos at home before I go. Using pesos you don't leave a paper trail for any ATM, or otherwise fraudsters to rip you off while you are there, or when you get back home as well. Just safer for us and I have no worries at all if anything will be a surprise in my bank account.

Edited: 9:53 am, May 21, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

Vendors at the shops do not give a very good rate. Taxis are 10 to 1 as are many shops. your purchasing power is greater with the Peso.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

I'm with 777Deana777, get pesos at home, bring a credit card for emergencies and forget looking for a place to exchange dollars when you get there. Also, what she said about fraudsters is valid!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,599 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

¨ In fact, they usually give your balance in what you owe "in dollars" ¨

When I travel anywhere in Mexico, I do my best to avoid places with dollar prices and do business with merchants catering more to the local trade.

East TN
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

Use the Cambios along 5ht. You should convert your US dollars for pesos as you will get 10 pesos for a dollar most places, but you'll get 12+ for a dollar if you exchange. That means you get a 20% increase! If you spend $500 US dollars, you get $500 worth of stuff. Exchange it for pesos and you get $600 worth of stuff. It is a no-brainer.

United States
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

Chris b....

That's why I take only pesos which I have exchanged before I go to Mexico. I get a terrific rate from my bank and they do not charge me a fee when exchanging them. They also will buy back the pesos I don't use... Or I will save them for another trip. I never use the bank in Mexico and I never use dc or cc but do have them for back-up if needed in an emergency. There's always a safe in the room where I stay.

RobertSDF...

I can't tell you how many times when I bought something, or when we ate out... They gave us the total amount in US $$$.I always had to say we had pesos and would pay in pesos. I think many of the vendors and establishments are so frequently dealing with dollars, it doesn't phase them. And too, if you use dollars you don't get as good of an exchange rate when buying or paying for something. And they make more in quoting you "dollars" because they don't exchange as well as the banks. That's why I always exchange my $$$ before we go so we can take advantage of a good exchange rate.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,599 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

Good advice, Deana. Yes, many tourist establishments show dollars because they come out ahead that way.

I pay nothing in dollars---I have none! Always have to get dollars before trips to the US. You don´t have to go far from this area to find only pesos accepted. Such as Valladolid and the areas largest city, Merida.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

Unless you are on a megabudget, you won't lose much at 10 or 11 pesos to the dollar. You'll lose more in exchange rates. Use the dollar and have fun.

10. Re: Exhange dollars to pesos best place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 23, 2014