We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts with AI/adults only Mexico/Jamaica/DR

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Resorts with AI/adults only Mexico/Jamaica/DR

Dear Fellow Travelers:

We are going to get away alone w/o our kids for 4-5 days so leaning towards an AI, adults only resort. We've grown up just a little (but not too much) from the Hedonisms, Breezes-types reports. From all the forums, leaning towards Secrets Excellence or Secrets Capri, possibly the Ritz (has an AI plan) near MoBay.

Since my husband is the golf addict, have also considered Casa de Campo in La Ramona. It seems from the forums many prefer the Mexico Riveria over DR for a variety of reasons, primarily service. Have been to Cancun, Cozumel, Ixtapa many years ago, also Tulum, long before these areas were developed. Shopping isn't of interest, I've been to Tulum, my husband hasn't, just going for R&R.

Should we consider the less expensive resorts? Seems rates at others are a lot less than the Secrets resorts. Do you really get what you pay for?

Any great differences between Secrets Capri and Secrets Excellence? SE is sold out on many dates.

Taxi fares from Cancun airport to the resorts?

Are sand fleas/no see ums an issue?

I recall the water in this area isn't the beautiful blue as in many other Caribbean areas, but not a deciding factor as long as a good beach.

Thanks all for your input!

Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts with AI/adults only Mexico/Jamaica/DR

you should post this message under Puerto Morelos Forum. A lot of people write thing in that forum about SE

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
497 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts with AI/adults only Mexico/Jamaica/DR

Lots of great choices for you. These all-inclusives are either adults only or adult-focused (few families):

High end:

Royal Hideaway (Playacar)

Le Blanc Spa Resort (Cancun)

Secrets Excellence and Capri (Playacar)

Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

Ritz Carlton Rose Hall (allows kids)

Royal Plantation (Ocho Rios)

Grand Lido Negril and Braco

Sandals Whitehouse, Negril, Antigua, and St. Lucia

Above average:

All other Sandals

Couples Negril and Ocho Rios

Ceiba del Mar

Aventura Spa Palace

Riu Palace Las Americas (allows kids)

Riu Palace Riviera Maya (allows kids)

Casa de Campo does have great golf, but also allows families. Also, for friendly people and outstanding food, you will find DR is just not as nice as Mexico or Jamaica. You will also find decent golf courses at Rose Hall and around Cancun.

In most cases, you do get what you pay for. The more expensive resorts usually have nicer facilities, better food, more attentive service, etc. You just can't compare a Ritz Carlton to a Riu. Nothing wrong with Riu, it's just not Ritz. If you're only going 4 nights, the difference between great and extraordinary may be only a few dollars.

No great differences between Capri and Excellence. Different designs, pools, etc. but it's not apples and oranges. More like red delicious and golden delicious. They're both apples. You'll love either one.

I always have transfers packaged into my trip, so I don't know exact taxi fare. Definitely depends on which resort. Cancun Hotel Zone, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Xcaret--it's a big area.

Sand fleas are usually not a problem in Cancun. More so in Jamaica.

The water in Cancun area varies. In some places it's rather unimpressive, while many resorts have amazingly clear turquoise water. Royal Hideaway, Grand Lido Negril and Sandals Negril are probably the nicest on this list.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
448 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts with AI/adults only Mexico/Jamaica/DR

Just added my SERC movie (from April 2005) to my website. Scroll down to the middle of my homepage to view. You can still view the individual movie clips, too. Also on this site you will find slideshows of Iberostar Lindo, Palladium, Secrets Capri and Puerto Vallarta. Coming this fall [I]"Sisters Week at Rui Palace Riviera Maya" -- stay tuned...... http://robino.info

Kentucky
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts with AI/adults only Mexico/Jamaica/DR

Aventura Spa is an Adults Only Resort, that belongs in the high-end category.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts with AI/adults only Mexico/Jamaica/DR

If you stay at Aventura Spa Palace, your husband is entitled to golf at the championship Golf Course at Moon Palace. Aventura Spa transports you there and back.

6. Re: Resorts with AI/adults only Mexico/Jamaica/DR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 16, 2009