We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Topic
Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

Like everyone else, I suppose, I have been keeping up with the Royal threads. I have a question. First some background.

On two different trips to Mexico in years past, members of our group got violently ill. Think projectiles. But in all those cases it was a matter of, say, 6 to 12 hours of misery followed by another 12 hours of feeling like crap but relatively better followed by feeling okay for the remainder of the trip. In other words, a fairly nasty 24 to perhaps 36 hour virus with the first 6 to 12 hours being the worst.

Reading these reviews it seems that people are feeling the worst effects for much more than 6 to 12 hours. I know that everyone is different and some people will have horrible effects and others relatively mild. But what gives with the 3, 4, 5 days of being totally layed out? If these reports are true, this does not seem like the regular virus that people are always contracting at these resorts.

Any ideas?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

if it is norovirus, and it sounds like it may well be, 3-4 days to recover is about right. The type you are more familiar with is the regular old day or less 'traveler's diarrhea' type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

Tennessee
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

I guess.

I've never really delved into this topic before.

I always thought of "traveler's diarrhea" as, well, diarrhea and not being violently ill.

But as in the examples I cited above from two different trips to Mexico, the people in our party were really, really sick but only for 12 or so hours followed by maybe another day of feeling off but nothing to the extent of what we've been reading about lately. And just to be clear, they weren't only experiencing diarrhea, but severe vomitting as well. Again, it cleared up within 24 hours.

Edited: 4:47 pm, May 09, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

Landrum-I've also been sick like you describe above on all but one trip to Mexico (ironically the only trip I didn't get sick was on our longest trip yet to RPDC in 2008) but every other one I've been in the room or very close to it with about 24-hours of symptoms. It never ruined my trip & only once required me to be in the room that entire 24-hours. I always just assumed it was a mixture of my Type 1 Diabetes & the sugar/fried foods I dont normally consume combined with travel to dense areas. Since we currently have a 7 night trip to RPDC booked it's been intriguing me as well. A lot of the negative reviews describe similiar symptoms but then a lot describe things that just don't add up to norovirus. I guess anything can have a varying degree of symptoms & complications but it's all intriguing none the less. All I know is that I'm still very excited about our trip there, hoping the resort is 1/2 empty & cleaner than it's ever been!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

I was under the impression that norovirus is a bit like the flu in that there are different strains of it, some of which are much nastier than others. That being the case, it would explain that sometimes it's a 12-24 hour thing and other times, much more severe and long lasting.

Unlike the flu though, I'm not aware of any effective vaccination for norovirus.

I totally stand to be corrected on this though - I'm not a medical professional.

Montoursville, PA
Level Contributor
709 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

I had the Norovirus the day after Christmas. Likely contracted from someone on a return flight from California. Not one person in my family ever got it. FWIW, I seem to get sick every year after my Christmas trip to CA!

Anyway, it started in the middle of the night with just a crappy feeling. Stomach ache type. About 4 hours into it, I finally threw up and felt better. It progressed from there to include diarrhea, sometimes concurrently with the throwing up. A fever of about 102. This lasted off and on while I remained in bed for about 12 hours. I was tired for about the next 12-18...it can take a beating on the body, but was fully recovered by the 24 hour mark.

I understand that not everyone is created equal. I contracted H1N1 in the same manner and same timeframe...coming back from CA after the company Christmas party. THAT lasted for 7 days and I thought I was dying!

Leaving on June 12th for the Royal. Couldn't be any more excited and hoping for an empty resort with tons of room choices and lots of sun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

"Traveler's diarrhea" is not just diarrhea - it is also vomiting. E coli is the usual suspect, and you can actually get a vaccine against it (Dukoral).

7. Re: Question about norovirus and other illnesses.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 12, 2014