We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stafford
Level Contributor
8 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

Hi,

I am going to Mexico with my family in June and we're celebrating a few birthdays.

One member of the family is 40 and would really like to swim with dolphins, the other 4 of us would like to go and watch her but not neceserily take part.

We have been advised by Thomson (our travel agent) we can do this. We don't want to book this however and then when we get there be told this is not possible and end up not being able to witness her swim with the dolphins.

Does anybody have any tips or first hand experience in a situation like this? Just to clarify we would like 1 Adult swimming with the dolphins and there would be 4 spectators.

Many Thanks in Advance :)

Canada
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

yes, you can watch, both at Isla Mujeres and Puerto Aventuras.

Fruitland, Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

I watched several people swimming with the dolphins in Puerto Adventuras, very nice marina located there. Great place to hang out too... You can get some really great pictures of all the action. :)

Have a great time!

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
407 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

You should go to Puerto Adventuras a small gated community where for free you can watch Dolphins, seals, manatee's, ect. Your friend can pay to swim and you can watch. There is also places to eat, shop and spend a nice day looking at all The Sport Fishing Boats. Just take a cab there you do not need to reserve or book a tour. Here is a link to the site - dolphindiscovery.com/mayan_riviera/riviera-m…

Edited: 9:04 am, April 23, 2013
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

Use of the search function will reveal lots and lots of past commentary on this topic over many different threads, so you may want to try that. (Just make sure you're wearing your flak jacket!)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
38,406 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

try the info under Top Questions as well

From the Playa del Carmen Destination Experts

DOLPHIN Swims???

Sensitive topic and a personal decision. Strong opinions on both sides, only an individual can decide if this is an activity for them. Information on the issue of dolphins in captivity and where to swim if one chooses to do so.

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Opinions on swimming with dolphins and alternate animal activities ... (more)

The Cove Documentary

Discussion on the film and swimming with the dolphins in captivity issue ... (more)

Dolphin Swim Research

Informative post for those considering swimming with dolphins ... (more)

Where to swim with dolphins? Discussion on the issues and suggestions for swims

Suggestions from both sides ... (more)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

I believe it's safe to say that the greater percentage of people expressing interest in dolphin swims are simply not informed on the capture, treatment and ramifications of these programs. As the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know.

It's rather difficult to ignore the facts, once learned, and still have a desire to willfully support, subsidize and participate in this activity, although I'm sure those folks are out there too.

To those interested, take just a couple minutes and read this: wspa-usa.org/wspaswork/oceans/wrongwithswimw…

No, I'm not a tree hugging animal rights wacko either. I'm a hunting carnivore that simply thinks these types of programs are just plain wrong, and should be eliminated, especially so in developing countries like Mexico.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
382 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

I've never really thought to much about this one way or the other. I'm taking my kids to Mexico this summer and I have been tossing the dolphins encounter idea back and forth. I realize this is a touchy issue due to the fact it is pretty much moral base and it's like talking guns, abortion, or gay marriage in the United States right now, but after looking at the Web site listed above. Should I not own a dog? Most of the complaints i see are pretty similar to my dog, he runs around the yard all day, dose tricks for treats, comes indoors out of his natural habitat.

I'm not try to go off subject or start a fight just trying to decide my own stance which I already stated as very minimal. I know the kids would never forget the dolphins but maybe I should teach the kids the animals belong wild and we'll see one in the wild when the time is right.

I do know from personal experience the '' wild'' buffalo and other animals in Yellowstone National Park where more exciting to see then others we have seen in cages.

Sorry for the long winded response and any spelling or grammar errors. Just trying to understand others point of view

Edited: 12:42 pm, April 23, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

Cronek, with due respect, if you read that entire article and don't understand the lack of correlation between captive dolphin swims and keeping pet dogs, perhaps it would help to re-read it. Not picking a fight, but do you know the differences between breeding & capture? Do you starve your dog to get them to perform a trick?

Not changing the subject, but how do you feel about the locals with (captured, sedated) infant tigers posing with locals for pesos? Is that like your neighbor posing for a photo with their pet cat?

Edited: 1:03 pm, April 23, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

..that's posing with tourists.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Swim with Dolphins - Playa Del Carmen

With all due respect do you know anything about the dolphin swims in Mexico? Maybe they use different techniques.

Just because people watch a movie or read an article they all of a sudden are experts and know everything about the world. So unless you've been to these facilities and have witness their practices you really shouldn't preach like you're in the know. That's as ignorant as saying all Muslims are terrorists.