We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NC
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

I've booked at the Grand Xcaret - what is the best way to actually get to the hotel?

Thanks!

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

That depends on how much you want to spend. We booked w/ Apple so transportation was included. Sounds like you didn't book through a tour operator. So, you could go in a public van for I think like $11. No idea how that is, except that there will definitely be other resort stops along the way. Or, you could hire transportation in advance. CancunValet seems to be popular for that and I think it will cost you about $115. The good news is that is all for you -- no other stops. Or, you could rent a car. Wouldn't be my pick but a lot of people do it. Did you perhaps book your flight through a tour operator? If so, then you can probably use their transportation for about $40/pp. Those are all the options that I know of.

-fuzzlekins

ocmdbeachrentals.com

NC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

No, I didn't book through a tour operator. Do I need to prearrange the public vans? Or is it pretty easy to arrange transportation while there? It is only two of us.

thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

Just beware if you use Olympus tours - make sure you find the rep at the hotel to arrange your plans back to the airport - I had a very bad experience with them - still trying to get it settled.

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

The public vans are first come-first serve cash only as far as I know. I will warn you that leaving the Cancun airport can be a little overwhelming. The government limits who can be in the airport, but once outside the airport, you will immediately be hit with people wanting to grab your luggage to carry it a few feet for you for a tip (keep a good grasp on it and politely decline), sell you a timeshare, etc. It's very difficult to tell who's "legitimate" and who's not. If you go with a transportation company, you at least get something to focus on (i.e. look for the flowered shirts or look for the sign that says "...."). I'll be honest, I can't imagine trying to wade through that mess and find transportation. We were VERY relieved when we got to the Apple bus b/c people stopped approaching then. If you can afford the private transfer, I'd do it. Otherwise, learn how to ask in Spanish where the public vans are and hope like heck you're not asking a timeshare person that will put you in "their" transportation. Look for someone wearing I think a light blue shirt that indicates they work directly for the airport -- they should be able to help you (but again, they may not speak English). I don't meant to frighten you, this was just our impression at the Cancun airport. Inside the airport was a breeze -- outside was a frenzy.

-fuzzlekins

ocmdbeachrentals.com

OHIO
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

yeah, we booked w/olympus as part of a package w/funjet. first trip, everything went fine. second trip, i made the arrangements at xcaret for our return trip and they screwed it up. there were 4 of us and they only had us down for 2 people. after a harrowing 80 mph trip to the airport, we made it on time, so no big deal.

be careful though, they (olympus) want you to come in and arrange your return transportation, but include along with it their "pitch" for all of their excursions. waste of crucial time if your not interested.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

Well Olympus (the tour rep at teh hotel) and I had a little bit of an argument - and it got very bad and I filed a complaint with Olympus and GoGo through my travel agent. I don't want to go into it on here because it wasn't all about the transfers.

However, please don't get discouraged wtih Olympus - he was one person that didn't act appropriately - all the other drivers and operators at the airport were very nice and courteous to us.

7. Re: Transportation to Occidental Grand Xcaret?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 15, 2009