We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us avoid shark attacks?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Help us avoid shark attacks?

We have never been to Mexico & I've read a lot of posts about timeshare sharks in the airport. Some lady said that they asked her to stop as they needed to see her papers to know where she was staying.. well I'm pretty naive & would have stopped to hear out why but obviously now I'll be on guard more. What kind of things can we expect them to wear/say to get us to stop? Thanks in advance.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

On our first visit years ago we stopped when one of the guys said something. The second we realized he was selling something, we said "no" and just walked away. It was not a big deal.

On our recent visit we walked through the area at about 7 p.m and no one was there. I didn't miss them, but it was disconcerting because that is part of the trip that is always the same.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

Thanks everyone. I will be more aware now & most likely would have stopped before looking on TA. Thanks for your time all!

kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

Best think to do is dress like a ragger, they will then know you can no way afford a timeshare nor your first shot of tequilla!!!! Works for us! have a fabulous holiday x

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
619 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

I've just returned from PDC and I didn't find the "sharks" nearly as bad as I expected based on what I read on TA. Having said that, we were told by a shark at our hotel that they are not allowed to sell to Russians - so just say "Nyet" and keep walking !

United States
Level Contributor
187 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

This should help http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-a-Shark-Attack

I don't provoke the sharks walking outside...but if they get in my space, I punch them in the nose.

All kidding aside, it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

Juby, what a fab idea. Haligonian, I dont think we could pass for Russian, Im blonde & blue eyed my hubby is mixed White British & Jamaican - I wonder why they can't sell to Russians?! & Stevesul... Brilliant advice.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

Haligonian, you are right. This forum gave them super powers. When we first returned to the area 3 years ago I thought I would have to sprint through this area to avoid them. I also pictured it as a long hallway from what I remembered from a trip to Cancun years earlier (different terminal). It is a short hallway and they are not aggressive at all. I think the only thing that needs to be forewarned is that they are not your transport, guide, resort or official airport personnel. Just walk outside. Someone new may feel that these are official airport staff, especially since you just passed through customs.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

I agree that they're not awful, but you do need to be aware. To someone who doesn't know, they can be convincing: "you prepaid transfer online, I can help you!". I had to say no to two different guys, but once I said no, they left me alone.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

Nyet moy Tovarish.

iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Help us avoid shark attacks?

I think they can tell who the frequent visitors are and the newbies. If your luggage looks like it's been drug across the runway they leave you alone. If you're wide eyed and scoping out everything the hit you like a brick wall. Just hold the ooh aahs till you get outside. At the same time some people are just suckers and they will get bit everytime.