We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

Hi has anyone been to riveria maya or playa del carmen in august? What is the weather like? Im unsure on going as it is my main holiday but my bf is set onit. Im worried we will just get constant rain and it will be a waste of money?

Can anyone give any advise?

Thanks

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

We've been twice in August and like that the resorts are less crowded and we're guaranteed hot weather. We've often had surprise downpours on an afternoon or two, but have never had an entire week be a washout due to rain or a hurricane.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

We are looking to go july 30th. Would you recommend going at that time of year then? Is the water and beachs just as nice due to hurricaine season? Also do you recommend pesos or usd? Thanks

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

August is typically VERY hot and VERY humid. I usually visit a bit later in the year (end of September) which is still hurricane season but like Mykel, have rarely see much more than a brief shower. And even when it does rain, it's usually still warm.

As for dollars versus pesos - dollars are widely accepted in the tourist areas but your money will go further if you use pesos. If you happen to have dollars lying around that you want to use up, feel free to bring them but if you have to do a currency exchange anyway, then just go straight to pesos. If your flying with either Thomson or Thomas Cook remember that you will have to pay a departure tax when you leave Cancun of 800 pesos or about 45 pounds. Sometimes they'll take US dollars for this and sometimes not, so don't count on using greenbacks for that.

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

We visited PDC at the end of feb and had weather that was hot. Most days were 85 deg. Cant imagine what it would be like in august.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

The majority of our trips are in August. Its really hot and humid but not unbearable for us.

romford
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

We travelled to the Riveria Maya in August last year and will be returning over the same period this year. Throughout our 2 week stay we had one downpour during an afternoon which lasted approx 20 mins. Yes, it was hot, and humid in the evenings, but not as humid as Aruba 3 years previously where I found it unbearable.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

So would you all say im stupid letting the rain put me off? As it will be the first 2 weeks of august? Thats all im worried about!

Thanks

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

I would not say you are stupid at all. It is technically rainy season. I just wouldn't let the potential for rain sway my decision to travel there in August. It is highly unlikely that it will rain all day every day while you are there.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

We have been to Mexico five times in early August (twice was the RM, once to Isla Mujeres and once to Playa del Carmen).

Hot, humid, not unbearable at all, IMO. Lovely flat calm ocean, and not too much wind- I hate how much wind there is in winter on this coast-especially if you are like us and enjoy diving and fishing

. Much quieter and more laid back than high season.

We have always had a suprisingly low amount of rain at that time- a few showers or couple of heavy downpours, that is it....HOWEVER!!! it IS rainy season and hurricane season, so it is possibly you might get a tropical depression in the area that sticks around a while.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rivera Maya and Playa del Carmen august?

So its worth the risk then. I understand it could rain i just wanted to hear other people's experience in august. If anyone know of any good day trips then please do let me know.

Thanks