We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

Do they really require men to wear long pants at ALL the restaurants for dinner or do some allow shorts?

Also does anyone know the selection of beer available as part of the all-inclusive option? We are staying there with friends and would appreciate any help and Advice!

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

They changed the dress code recently and guys are now allowed to wear nice shorts to most of the restaurants in the evening with close toe shoes.

I can not remember all of the beers available, but coors is the american beer they have.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

We were there in mid Feb and the dress code was not being enforced (with the exception of Chef's Plate). Our guys complied......didn't mind dressing up, but some evenings it was a bit warm for long pants and closed toe shoes. The only thing we saw enforced was that men could not be wearing sleeveless shirts (tank tops, or t shirts without short sleeves) and women who walked into restaurants with their bikini tops on (yup....they're out there!) were respectfully asked to cover up.

Chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

The Royal must be fabulous. I seldom see or hear any bad reviews. For those of you who have stayed there..is it all that and more? What would be the next five places in your opinions that would compare and please give me an idea on cost.

Thanks.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

Thank you everyone for your input!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

The Royal PDC is by far the best AI I have ever visited. My first visit was 3 years ago and I was blown away by the rooms, service, drinks, and food. Since then I have been to a few other resorts only to be disappointed in comparison to The Royal. I've finally learned my lesson and returning again this summer. You will absolutely LOVE this place!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

I will probably be one of the few that doesn't say "it's all that and more". I didn't find the service to be over the top compared to other resorts we've stayed at (VIM, EDSS, Barcelo Cabo, Riu Palace Cabo, Presidente Cabo, Majestic Elegance Punta Cana, Sandals Ocho Rios). Walking around the pool with "frozen grapes" turned into mush in about 5 minutes in the heat, staff putting their hand over their heart when passing you looked like robots,just about having to beg to have the romance concierge make a call to confirm our return transport to the airport. Nothing screamed out of the ordinary service. Not that it wasn't a great trip, but I certainly wouldn't say it was any better than any of the other resorts we've ever stayed at.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

SDFamily-if you have a Facebook account look for "Real Resorts" on there & they can help answer specific questions that you might not get answers to here (types of beer).

Have a great trip! We booked RPDC for our 2nd trip this coming August and couldn't be more excited. Unlike Shelb above RPDC was probably one of our favorites (out of VIM, Dreams PV, among others). We felt the service was exceptional, we were never told "no" no matter what the request & the rooms/beds there are hands down our favorite. Have a great trip!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

Thank you again for all your input! A special thank you to kellianddoug for the Facebook suggestion!

Delaware
Level Contributor
50 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

Beer selection isn't that great in my opinion...coors, tecate, sol, dos Equis....no corona :( My husband is really into microbrews as well as the other guy we are traveling with so I've heard great things about club de la cerveza on 5th and 38th for a lot of craft beers. I generally hate spending money when it's included in the price of an AI but I think we will check it out.

Also I've been there 5 times and it seems that in cooler months they enforce the long pant rule and ive seen people turned away. I would for sure pack long pants for a guy. But this time we are traveling in August and they are a little more relaxed when its super hot out.

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions about the Royal Playa Del Carmen

Just before our trip last November, they changed the long pants rule to dress shorts except for the Chefs Plate. We would definitely return and loved our vacation there. Actually liked the resort better than the VIM, but that's just our experience.

Our only disappointment was the Romance Concierge as someone else mentioned. It was a trip to celebrate our 35th Anniversary so I emailed them and asked if we could have reservations at the Chefs Plate. We couldn't ahead of time, so I asked for a recommendation of a nice restaurant in PDC that I could contact to make arrangements. They told me to check in with them when I arrived and they'd go over what was available. That was the end and although we didn't have a special dinner we had a great vacation there.