We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

I noticed there is a price difference between grand Riviera Princess and Grand sunset princess, grand riviera being more expensive. I thought it was a few resorts in one....Does anyone know why the riviera is a little more expensive than the sunset, and if so is there even a difference? Im planning on staying at one of them for 4 nights in may before we head to the secrets maroma for a wedding. I am trying to book a package deal but expedia only has the option for grand riviera and booking flights separately is way more expensive. Bookit.com seems to have the best rates but again riviera is a lot more expensive than the sunset so just curious as to why

Ontario
Level Contributor
476 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

Was just there a couple of weeks ago and the Sunset is on one side of the resort and the Riviera on the other side.

Each have there own lobbies and check in desks.

However all pools, restaurants, entertainment , are shared.

We were on the Riviera side in the Platinum section and it was fantastic. Certainly not many children in our section. Lots of perks but I do believe the Sunset has a Platinum section as well.

Enjoy your trip

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

There is absolutely no difference between the "two" resorts. It is one big resort that is marketed as two depending on the provider.

The room catagories are the only difference which again are identical on both sides with the exception of the Yucatan Platinum which is only on the Riviera side if memory serves.

The rooms in order of lowest to highest are:

Junior Suite

Junior Deluxe

Swim-ups (No kids under 12 I believe)

Yucatan Platinum (Adults only away from the beach)

Platinum (All ages but closest to the beach)

Villas (In the middle of the resort with a private villa guest only area)

Pick the cheapest deal, no sense paying more for nothing

Cheers

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

Yes! It's all one resort. We are going for the third time this summer. We have stayed in plantium on both sides and they are the same. I booked on the Sunset with book it because it was a better deal then Expedia for the riviera side. We prefer the sunset because it's closer to the Chill out area that we like to go to on the beach.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

We booked our last 2 trips with Apple vacations who sells the Sunset, but both times ended up on the Riviera side. It is all one big resort with 2 different lobbies. We still checked in and out of the Sunset side.

So go ahead and book wichever side is cheaper.

Ontario
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

Just returned , agree with Galstonlad. Platinum is a nice upgrade however after just returning from sunset last week staying in a junior suite I was just as happy. book the cheaper. Both sides are the same.

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

Does anyone know a toll free phone number or email to contact Grand Sunset Princess??

7. Re: Difference Between Grand Riviera and Grand Sunset???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 09, 2014