We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
96 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

To start with, I am desperate! :)))

I was looking for quite some time for non-stop flights out of O'Hare Airport for May 18-May 27, and I am shocked at the prices I see today.

United has flights for $759 and American for $919. I am aware that I will pay more since I am returning on Memorial Day, but this is crazy!!!

It costs me less to fly to Europe :)

Anyway, my question is: should I wait for a decrease in prices or to book AirTran out of Midway for a way lower price?

I never flew with AirTran before, and that makes me a little nervous.

Will the prices for United and American go down after Easter?

Any help on this matter is going to be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,008 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

jet fuel prices and less flightds are causing rates to increase

Will prices drop in the last month - doubtful imho

You may need to get non direct flights and see if you can look at one way flights

Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

I've taken that AirTran flight from Midway a couple of times and it's great. Clearing customs and immigration at MDW is almost a joke. Very quick, no issues, always on time or early. The only issue was the first time the FA's didn't know the proper forms to give out during the flight, but that was fixed. That was when that flight first was offered and that probably was just due to a crew that didn't know. The only issue is that it arrives at departs at Terminal 2 in CUN, most of the other US flight arrive at Terminal 3. Terminal three is the nicer of the terminals (and it's really nice).

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

Why are you nervous about Airtran? Their planes are not falling out of the sky? Are you reading horror stories from the passengers on local TV or radio?

Have you tried changing your dates a bit?

Have you considered a one-stop flight?

Do you check fares late at night during the week?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

I can only speak of AirTran flight from Den to Cancun last year, non stop, so not certain if it helps you. The plane seemed a little worn (a stain here and there, a chip here and there) but the goal was to get me to Cancun non stop and it worked. Crew very nice. The price of the flight was considerably cheaper then United, American and Frontier at the time. Flying AirTran again for this years trip.

Enjoy!! Safe Travels!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

$432 USD coming back on 25 May with one stop.

California
Level Contributor
96 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

Why AirTran makes me nervous? Maybe I used the wrong word here :)...the feedback that I received from other people that flew AirTran was not that great!!!

My dates are not flexible, maybe just returning a day earlier, but I don't see a huge price difference to make me return earlier.

I looked at one stop flights, but I am not willing to travel for 15-20 hours even if the price is a little lower. This should be a 3 hours and 30 minutes flight :)))

I guess I will look a little more, and if I don't see a lower price, I am going to try AirTran.

Thank-you for all the feedback!

Chicago
Level Contributor
678 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

I'm traveling around the same time from Chicago and I agree the prices are the highest I've seen for flying to Cancun. I would book AirTran to save the money.

Chicago
Level Contributor
678 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

I just went on Applevacations.com and they have a non-stop Frontier flight out of O'Hare for $580 for your dates. But, this flight is showing as sold out on Frontier's website.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

$623 for the Midway - Cancun non stops flights on those days.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago-Cancun Non-Stop Flight in May

Post #9 was Airtran