We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Sunset Princess questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Sunset Princess questions

What is the teen club like? What time does the pool close? Can you go to the beach at night? Ice cream at the bars? Do we really need to bring water shoes for the beach?

Best snorkel excursion. Akumal looks low on fishies from photos I've seen!

Getting excited!

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

Hi Kelly,

Unfortunately I dont know any of the answers for you, but im curious about some of then too. We are heading there April 7 - April 14. When are you going?

Windsor N.S.
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

We are leaving Easter Sunday for 2 weeks...

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

Janice - Will you also be at Grand Sunset Princess?

Ontario
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

Leaving the 14th, so we'll miss each other, hopefully someone is interested in answering these questions:)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

What is the teen club like?

sorry dont really know. i do know that they"sports lounge" is more of a games room than anything so thats where tthe young ruffians hang out. seems like a good place for them...just off the central courtyard where all the evening activities take place. also during the day seems like lots of various activities going on throughout the resort.

What time does the pool close?

never shut down a pool before but i would assume it would be between 5pm and sundown as they have to clean/shock the pool.

Can you go to the beach at night?

I dont think so...its very dark ... not sure if theres someone there who tells you you cant go though.

Ice cream at the bars?

yup, and the buffets too.

Do we really need to bring water shoes for the beach?

some like to have them and some dont feel the need. i used crocs and was fine. my gf went barefoot and she was fine too.

Best snorkel excursion. Akumal looks low on fishies from photos I've seen!

the attraction of akumal is swimming with the turtles and rays and baracudas. if you want fishies then visit yal ku lagoon, which is also in akumal. there is a cost to enter though...cant recall but its something like 7 dollars? going to akumal for an entire day is awesome. and, you do not need to book a tour to do it...it is very diy friendly. if you go on the akumal forums vancouversundog has posted some great info on going to akumal. it is always a hilite of our trips to the region and we do it every time we go down.

or, you could go over to cozumel for a nice day. hire a cab to take you around the island for the day and hit all the beach b ars. go snorkeling over at the money bar first thing, then just hit beach bars after that. another of our must do trip when down.

Ontario
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

Wow, detailed info CDL Vancouver, thanks!!!

Nervous about leaving the resort on our own though ...Mom and 2 young teen girls. If you have the patience to forward a newbie instructions and tips on how to safely travel on our own via taxi i would welcome a message to my inbox. Or on the thread that would be fine too.

I have taken tour company excursions and they dont impress due to the lack of personal attention. :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

Ya avoid the big tour companies. And really no need to be nervous...its all set up to get visitors around sadely and efficiently down there. Its very easy to get to akumal from the princess...a straight shot down the highway actually.

A taxi would probably run 45 $ each way. Not a problem and very easy to get. Then you can snorkel at your leisure and eat where and when you want. Some good eats in akumal. Plus akumal is absolutely gorgeous so its great to just hang there on your own schedule.

Check out the top questions on the akumal forum for tons of info

Who knows...we may bump into you in akumal!

Edited: 5:39 pm, February 24, 2013
Windsor N.S.
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

Yes we will. First time at that location.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,669 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

Yal-Ku is 10$ US - 110-120 pesos

Recommend you do my famous golf cart tour of Yal-Ku / Half Moon Bay / Akumal Bay

In Akumal top questions or PM me

Have fun

Ontario
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Sunset Princess questions

or better yet, can you rent a car and hire a guide for the day? Where would you rent a car from? The resort? How much approx would this cost?