We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Which AI is best for us!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Which AI is best for us!

My husband and I are planning a trip to PDC. Having a hard time deciding on an AI resort. We have stayed at the Grand Velas resorts and love them but are looking for something a little more lively! We have looked at the reviews for the Royal resorts and people seem to like them. Secrets and El Dorado look good too. We want the same luxury (or close), we are foodies so we want good food, we are in our mid thirties and want to be in more of an upbeat atmosphere this trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

If you are foodies, I suggest Royal Playa del Caremn. Honestly, this is an excellent resort with high quality food. The resort does not have a disco and in the last few years have certainly had more activities and shows and theme nights. There is no disco on site but it is right off 5th avenue so that makes it exciting too! :)

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

I would give either the Palace or Secrets resorts a try. Maybe VIM as well. Secrets Maroma Beach remains our all-time best experience with food, service and top shelf liquor. Secrets Silversands remains the resort that we have had the most fun at. VIM was a close second for top shelf liquor and food was pretty good. Palace resorts are very nice as well.

Woodstock, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

Without a doubt any Excellence Resort is a cut above them all in Mexico!

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

Susieq - I used to think the same way and then I visited Secrets Maroma Beach. Now I believe Secrets is the best, Palace second and then Excellence. Of course, that is what makes the world go around - different opinions.

Woodstock, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

Have been to Secrets Maroma Beach 2 years ago and grant you they do have the nicest beach on Maroma there but as for everything else I found out

that EPM was a cut above everything else food etc. Which Palace resort are you talking about?

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

Isn't that funny how people's perceptions are different? I thought both SMB and SSS had better service than EPM. And I did not like the beach (or beach walk at EPM). Excellence in PC was just as good as SMB though. We stayed at Aventura Spa Palace and visited Xpu Ha Palace and thought they were both excellent.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

I am not the OP, but trying to get the same kind of info -- and its so confusing!

Ok, I'm going on the assumption that all places mentioned have decent food. Now -- which ones are the most fun, and have the best pool and beach? Fun first -- then pool and beach, then food.

And then --- : ) ok, yep, I know I'm picky --- and then, which place is set up the best so you aren't walking a mile three times a day, to get anywhere.

(I know I am asking a lot!)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

I have stayed at the Grand Velas and the only other AI with the same food quality I have stayed at is the Royal Hideaway but is very quiet at night but 5th avenue is only a 20 minute walk away.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

We have had the most fun at Secrets Silversands.

10. Re: HELP! Which AI is best for us!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 27, 2014