We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

Hello,

I am reading some horror stories about Rogers customers roaming in Mexico (voice or data). It's about $3.00/min w/o an add on.

I need to use my mobile minimally (could do this from a landline if there is a calling card suggestion etc.) but I do need to make some calls.

Any suggestions for a package added on or calling in general from the Playa?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

I am also with Rogers and looked into their packages before my trip in January. I decided to skip it and purchased a calling card for $10.00 to use at the pay phones. I think this give you about 30 minutes. You can get these calling cards at most pharmacies or corner store type places. Make sure you turn your data roaming off as well!

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

I used to be with rogers, and hated them with a passion. They dont guarantee their service will work in Mexico and any time I tried it, it didnt work. So that time they got it right. I couldn't send a text never mind do anything else. A man there gave me a phone card with about 5 mins left on it and I used it to call my son from a pay phone and that worked perfectly. If I was you I'd use a phone card. Or you could buy a cheap Mexican phone and SIM card at Walmart etc.

If you do opt for one of roger's plans and your phone doesnt work, go after them to get your money back. They will tell you they have to set up an "investigation" into your allegation that the phone didnt work! Total BS but they will give you your money back if you keep on them.

Funkynassau, a happy Virgin customer now!

Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

We bought a Rogers text and talk plan for our recent trip and were able to text but not talk.

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

Depending which Hotel you will be at, they might have good deals on calling cards.

On our trip, over new year this year, we got a 25$ card that allowed us to call as much as we could for 7 days. At 3$/minute with Rogers, I would have only got 8 minutes for 25$.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

Thanks everyone!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
619 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

Do you buy the phone card in Mexico? Or in Canada before you leave?

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

Buy it in Mexico.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

If your resort has wifi you could use Skype?

United States
Level Contributor
187 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

For calls to cells and landlines, we use skype (it's 2.3 cents a minute to US..I believe the same to Canada). We use WhatsApp for free cross-platform texting (iMessage only works on Apple devices). We can contact family via text to Apple and Android.

Before I had a tablet, I used to bring my laptop. I had a VPN service ($5 a month) that provided a US IP address. I used Google Voice from my laptop for free calls since the VPN made it think I was in the US. The other benefit of the VPN is being able to play pandora and get to other blocked sites (hulu, etc.)

Skype is so cheap that it's not worth lugging the laptop.

Another app for free calls/messaging is viber.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile Phone Use in Playa (w/ ROGERS roaming -CDN carrier)

Lots of vpns have us addresses so that's good. Just make sure the vpn provider does not reside in the US. This defeats the purpose of a VPN. Didn't mean to hijack thread. I have been told by my Canadian cell provider to purchase a "text Only" plan and use the resorts wifi. Some resorts are free wifi, most charge $10/day. Cheaper than a $1000 cell bill.