We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many resorts to choose from

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Too many resorts to choose from

Hello everyone!

We need your help to help us decide our next vacation.

Last year we went to El Dorado Maroma and loved it! So this year we want to try someplace new but there is too many choices.

Here's what we want:

-Adults only

-Not too big resort

-Lots of food options (nothing too fancy, we like meat,chicken, pasta)

-Nice beach (clear and calm water, no big waves because we like to snorkel)

-Beach/bali beds

The resorts we are looking:

-El Dorado Seaside

-Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita

-Iberostar Grand

-Royal Hideaway Playacar

-The Beloved hotel

-Excellence Riviera Cancun and Excellence Playa Mujeres

-Secrets Maroma

So which one do you think meets our needs the best?

Thanks!

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Too many resorts to choose from

so1391,We did the cruse twice ,we talked them into letting us go twice because we were there for 2 weeks,as you are only soposed to get 1 free one per stay.They had drinks,It was great..The beach at Zoetry is very nice,But the ocean was cloudy in front of the Resort so we walked to the right about 200 yards and it was clear.Hope this helps..

Jon

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Too many resorts to choose from

So, I really think you should go with the El Dorado Seaside Suites. You will get the same great service that you had at the EDM and the food will be great (Chef Efraim is the head chef at the EDSS and he used to be at the EDM and his food is wonderful!) with lots of choices.

We have been to the EDSS 8 times (it got too big for us) and really enjoyed the snorkeling we were able to do right off the beach/pier area. There is a good bit of coral and the sand is not as soft as at the EDM, but it is still pretty nice (I am a tenderfoot and had to wear beach sandals when walking along the beach due to the crushed coral). About a 10 minute walk south out of the resort is a beautfiul swimming beach area and if you travel in the fall you will see many turtle nests along the way.

I hope this helps!

Quebec
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Too many resorts to choose from

Thanks Beachbum for your reply.

The sunset cruise sounds nice.

We saw pictures of the beach and yes the water seems cloudy/murky sometimes and some other times it looks blue and clear.

@Akandal: After going to EDM last year we thought EDSS would be a good choice. But with the construction going on right now, not so sure. We are not really concern about the noise but more about the size of the resort with the 100 rooms addition. Plus the beach doesn't seems really big right now so I don't know how it will be with the new capacity. Do you know if they plan on making the beach bigger?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Too many resorts to choose from

When are you looking to travel? The construction is expected to be completed by May (I think they are still trying to say March but from what I have read in reviews, that is likely not going to be met). I completely understand about the size of the EDSS after those new rooms are added, it got too big for us when the current swim up suite blocks were built!

From my understanding, Srs. Martinez did purchase the property to the south of the EDSS and are planning to expand the beach area to that side (Hidden Beach is to the north so they can't go that way). I do not know the timeline of this or what will actually be put there and I do not know if that is true or not, but it is the 'word on the street'. Sorry, not much help I know!

:-)

Quebec
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Too many resorts to choose from

We are looking to go mid-April so the construction won't be over probably.

But I don't think there will be a lot left to do.

We are leaning more toward:

Zoetry

The Beloved

El Dorado Seaside

The Excellence looks nice but maybe a bit too big for us.

The Royal Hideaway looks nice also but we are not too fond of the beach chairs without palapas.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Too many resorts to choose from

The heavy-duty construction should be done by then and finishing/decorating going on so it certainly should be quieter than the construction of the outside walls.

The first two on your list would be out for us since they allow kiddos, I know for the time you are going the likelihood of any being around is low though.

I hope you have a great vacation, wherever you decide to go!

17. Re: Too many resorts to choose from

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 14, 2014