We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

I have done so much research comparing these two so I think I "get" the main differences! I have read the reviews comparing both! Based on the price (VIM is about $1,000 cheaper) I am leaning towards VIM. However it seems the reviews for SMB are so much more consistent. There have been several recent negative reviews for VIM which make me nervous. Although it would be nice to save the $1k I would rather love the trip and pay more! We are going the first week in May for our first anniversary and it will prob be the last trip for us for a long time so I want it to be awesome!!! Welcome all tips!! Help!!! Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

Cotton-I've read the same that Edventures is a great company. We've never used them and most likely won't, our excursion days on the Yucatan side of Mexico are numbered. We've done so many of them and haven't really loved any of them. We enjoyed parasailing when we did it but we just found someone on the beach in Cancun, we didn't really book a formal tour. Our friends wanted to go to Xel-Ha last year so we went & combined it with a trip to Tulum. We loved the ruins but wish we would have stopped there, Xel-Ha was beautiful but just not our 'thing'. If we do any more tours on this side it will be a day trip to Isla Mujeres, Playa Norte looks absolutely stunning there.

As far as safety to leave the resort...we leave every time we visit. This last time to VIM we decided to go shopping in PDC and just walked out front and got a cab. We weren't sure where we'd end up or when we wanted to get back to the resort so we told them we didnt need them to wait on us. We were in PDC shopping & drinking for 3+ hours and just found another cab to take us back.

Unfortunately we've never been to the Lobster Pot. It's my understanding that they do have a regular/included menu but I can't confirm for sure. My husband doesn't do seafood and lobster has never been my favorite.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

YES, they have an entire full menu of seafood options...if you want the lobster it's extra.

I think you made a good choice. Psychology has studied the human condition and the reality is if you had gone with SMB you would have had EXTREMELY high expectations (spending 1K more) and you would likely not have had a good time. I see this A LOT. People stretch their budgets and then are unhappy about the service or food or something. It's easier to be picky when you spend more $.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

Thanks for clarifying about the Lobster Pot...I was having a "duh" moment...I should have remembered that they have a full menu since I've ordered off of it while at the steak side.

Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

"VIM must have changed because we just got back and with 1100 registered guests in 500 rooms we never once had an issue at 10am or 2pm finding a shaded lounge space. Most days there were 3 or 4 still available in each pool area (quiet, party) even at noon. We aren't beach people so I can't comment on that."

Same here but we where on the beach, no matter what time we went (never early) we got a spot:)

columbia, sc
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

I'm kinda jumping in on this one from another thread, so please pardon me. This thread has also gotten me leaning more towards VIM. Which room or room block should we chose to be close to the restaurants? (I figure we can swim in the pool to and from the beach during the day). Thanks!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

If you book a standard junior suite I'd request bldg 4 or 5. Silver bldg 2 is also good if you are ok being away from the beach.

37. Re: Valentin imperial... Or should I book SMB for +1k

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 14, 2014