We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

I am wondering if anybody has ever tried a resort, and wished they'd have stuck with one they've already been to. I'm not really looking for people who wished they'd have SPENT more, although I wouldn't mind hearing about that too -- but more of choosing one hotel in a price range, and wishing you'd have gone back to another, in about the same price range.

Side note -- We've stayed at 8 different places, and enjoyed them all, in different ways, and for what they've had to offer. We haven't - so far - ever wished we'd have booked something else, BUT now that we have tried as many as we have, I'm afraid we might be getting to the point where that will happen someday. On the other hand, I don't want to miss a real gem (to us) because we didn't try everything. Its funny, but at this point in my life -- the two out of the 8 that I wouldn't go back to anytime soon are the cheapest one (Reef Club) and the most expensive one (El Dorado) Like I said, we've never regretted a choce, but the Reef Club was TOO budget for us now (food just not great -- but maybe good for a time when we want to eat out more, and go on more excursions) and El Dorado was just too quiet for us. VERY nice, but more than we need, at this stage. We splurged, and it was worth it, but I probably wouldn't spend that again, until I'm at least 10 years older.

So that leaves the ones I WOULD go back to --

Palladium

Golden Parnassus

RIU Yucatan

RIU Caribe

Temptations (been there twice)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

The only resort we ever regretted was our 1st one (Grand Oasis Cancun). We had a great time though because we didn't have any comparison. We went to adults only (RPDC) the following year for our honeymoon and quickly realized that there were much better choices than the Grand, even in the same price range.

We're about to book SSS for my 30th trip this August & we're a little nervous. We've been to VIM 3 times and we know we love it there, its a great budget-friendly adults only option with everything we look for in a resort (pool, beach, nightlife, food). We aren't the biggest beach people but we're nervous about the beach at SSS. I doubt we will have a bad time but I feel like there's a 50/50 chance we will wish we had booked The Valentin.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

Hi - yes, in Feb 2012 we went to Iberostar Grand. While the oceanfront room was great we were not satisfied with the food (yes that's subjective) & thought the service was lacking. We had a good time away together but on more than one occasion wished we had retured to Excellence Riviera Cancun.

So we went to ERC in September, had a great time.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
764 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

The only one I wouldn't go back to is the Bahia. I would go back to the Palladium and this year I am trying out the Yucatan.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

I always like to try a different resort, but after traveling for so many years, it is becoming quite a chore to pick a new one. Looking for the "perfect" resort, lol. We've never really had a bad experience, it's just that there was always something I wished were different or something lacking. We only returned to two resorts, one in the Dominican and were very sorry the second time, and one in Aruba. Going next month for our third stay there and I have to admit I chose it this year by default. Time was running out for a Feb. booking and air fare to Mexico was more expensive than to Aruba this year. We could have gotten more for our money in Mexico, but we know this resort has a beautiful beach and you are literally in the sand when you walk off your patio.

That has become my big priority....beach/water access.

Edited: 4:43 pm, January 24, 2013
Port Elgin, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

We would never return to the CAT. We got a great deal, so I really shouldn't complain but...... I've never felt so claustrophobic with that tiny beach and teeny tiny pools that were filthy by the end of the day. I felt like you had to practically fight to get a drink. The food was pretty good though but there just seemed to be too many people for the size of the property.

Last year we went to VIM and I would go back in a flash. This year we decided to stay closer to Playa and ended up booking Playacar Palace but we've since switched to Sandos Caracol Select Club Adults Only because friends of ours wanted to join us and the price of the Palace had gone up significantly. I find when I travel with friends, I don't seem to mind a few bumps in the road so I'm hoping we'll have a great time.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

The Iberostar Cozumel. Nonexistant service, rooms moldy,rotten balconies, food was good, but I didnt care for them pinning up cats in the buffet , much less having the cats sitting in the chairs at the same table while you eat.

Fortunately we did a split vacation between Cozumel and PDC so we only had 4 days there which was 4 days too many!

NoSnow77-- it must be the Iberostar Resorts.. I thought the Grand was supposed to be luxury! We will never do another Iberastar.

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

Been to the Iberostar Grand twice and would return tomorrow we found the resort fantastic and the service wonderful.

The only hotel ive visited in Mexico and would not return to in a month of sundays was the Riu Cancun.(only there one day because of airport delay hated it)

murillo
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

Were going to grand riviera princess next month and wondering same thing ...resort , and destination...been to Punta Cana last 8 years wondering if we should have kept going back...we are beach people...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

"but I didnt care for them pinning up cats in the buffet"

What on earth does that mean????

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ever Gone to a Resort and Wished You Chose Another?

In 14 trips, only one time did we think that we could have made a better choice...

Catalonia Riviera Maya in Puerto Aventuras.

In our opinion, a crowded, cramped resort on a lackluster man-made "beach" in a gated Ex-Pat community. We realize a lot of TA'ers love the place, but we cannot figure out why with all the spacious, uncrowded resorts with large "green areas" and beautiful, long stretches of beach located up & down Riviera Maya.

V'Crawlers