We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA costoms?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
USA costoms?

Can you all tell me about costoms when coming back home? Do you have to tell them every little thing you bring back? What can't you bring back? I know all the food, drugs, birds, I'm talking things you think would be ok and find out you can't after buying.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA costoms?

www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA costoms?

Cuban cigars you cant bring...

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: USA costoms?

Cuban anything...I'd have a house full of Havana Club Anejo if that wasn't the case.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA costoms?

You will get a US customs form on the plane flying home. It has instructions on how to fill it out, what to list, etc. It's one per family. You are supposed to list everything you purchased and are bringing back with you: soveniers, liquor, cigarettes, cigars, etc, how many of each, and the cost. Unless you have made an expensive purchase, or have a suitcase full of things, I wouldn't even bother with listing things, like t-shirts hats, etc. You're only allowed so many tobacco products and so much liquor (read the link above), and so much cash. Usually out of cash by then, lol.

Then when you arrive in the US, first stop (whether it is your last one or not), is where you go through customs. First is immigration, then you pick up your luggage, then proceed to customs. Immigration may ask if you have any food. (Don't make the mistake I did and say yes to something like snack crackers. They marked my customs form and I was then questioned by the custom agent and had our bags scanned again.) Once you get to customs, they'll check over your form, they may ask a few questions, and may pick you do do a search. Not a big deal, and not very time consuming.

Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: USA costoms?

Thank you:)

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA costoms?

List liquor & smokes separately. Then, you can just list "souvenirs". That came from a customs agent. Has worked for us every time - no questions.

7. Re: USA costoms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 17, 2014