We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hepatitis vaccine

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bc canada
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hepatitis vaccine

My Husband and I our bringing our two granddaughters 8 & 10 to Playa and Cancun for two weeks this February. He thinks we should all get hepatitis A & B shots is it necessary any thoughts or comments... Thanks Cheers from BC

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hepatitis vaccine

My doctor recommended Hep A but this was several years ago; I believe these days, the vaccine is "twinned" and you get protection from both.

To the best of my recollection, it takes at least a few weeks before it's effective and I know for sure that you have to have a second shot several months later to ensure long term protection.

All that said, I would STRONGLY recommend you speak to your own physician; seeking medical advice over the internet is not necessarily a wise thing to do.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hepatitis vaccine

Llisa is correct. Only your doctor, and the grandkids doctor, can really address this question.

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hepatitis vaccine

It usually good to have hep A & B (twinrix) anywhere, even in Canada. But, advices on this should be comming from your physician or a travel clinic, not a travel forum. You do need to start your vaccination ahead of time, since it requires mutliple shots, if you elect to have them. But, please talk to a physician and the kids parents to make your call.

note: the BC vaccination program includes Hep B at grade 6 (and adults) and Hep A should have been provided before shool age.

healthlinkbc.ca/healthyliving/…school

Edited: 7:56 am, January 15, 2013
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hepatitis vaccine

In the US, the Twinrix vaccine is only available to those over the age of 18.

More specifically, in Iowa, Hepatitis B vaccine starts at birth. The series is completed at six months of age.

Hepatitis A is given at 12 months and 18 months.

Do speak with your physician. Or, better yet, a physician who knows something about travel medicine.

Even though there isn't time to complete the series, Hep B is three injections, Hep A is two, before you leave, you should get pretty good immunity from the first injection.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hepatitis vaccine

I had my hep a shot last night, only went for a check up and mentioned i was off to mexico. Whilst not 100% essential it seems like it is recommended and he did it for free whilst i was there. Certainly the first time in 4 visits I have had shots. Better to be safe than sorry whilst it is there for free I suppose.

He also gave me 3 tablets to take for typhoid. Again a 1st for me but if its on offer and it helps then I thought i may as well. I dont think I would have bothered otherwise though.

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hepatitis vaccine

Remember that if you don't get vaccinated for something it is recommended you be vaccinated against and you get that illness your insurance won't pay up as in their eyes it was preventable.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hepatitis vaccine

In Pennsylvania children must have Hep B vaccines to enter public school.

As stated.....a doctor would be your best source for good advice.

8. Re: Hepatitis vaccine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 17, 2014