We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Staten Island, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

Hi,

Many years ago I stayed at the Gala Resort in Playacar. Is the Sandos Playacar the same resort? The layout looks similiar. I remember that the beach & water were beautiful. Also, when I visited, there was not a swim-up bar. Can anyone tell me if one has been added since. Looking to plan an April 2013 trip and want a nice beach, will be travelling with another couple with a 9 yr old, so can't be adults only. Must also have palapas on the beach for shade.

Already stayed at Iberostar Maya & Beach. Tucan looks too dated. Wanted a change and needed a great beach, nice water.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is the old Gala (I remember reading that name when I researched it). And yes, the beach is fantastic!!!!

Sandos added more buildings going back. The newer section has a family section and an adults-only section. Only the adults-only select club has a swim-up bar.

We stayed for 2 weeks in December in the adults select club section and loved it. Definitely check it out. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

The back third of the resort is the Riviera section (away from the beach) and has a swim up bar. The other two sections (beach and hacienda) were the old Gala before being bought by Sandos. These older sections are in different stages of upgrading.

The beach is better (wider) than in the Gala days. More sand pumped up to fill over rocks, etc. They have been improving the shade on the beach with palms, canopies, and palapas in the last few years. No hurricane has visited in the last few years either so beach erosion has been a minimum.

If staying only one week the 9 year old should have plenty to find of interest.

3. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:11 am, January 15, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

thanks, so far this place looks good.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

We were at Sandos in November. No swim up bar in beach section. I haven't stayed at Iberostar Tucan but their pool is much larger and they have lots of animals on property. Same beach. We would stayed at Iberostar but Sandos was 700.00 cheaper for two weeks. I recommend staying in Sandos Riviera section even with the longer walk to the beach. Much quieter because its away from pool and bar.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

Going back for our 2nd time in Feb. Our family love this resort so much. I would like to bring our extended family on a next trip, probably later this year.

They have a new beach restaurant and a new pastries cafe, can't wait to see it.

Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

Hola and warm greetings from Playa del Carmen

We have lots of Palapas on the Beach for guest to use

We just finish renovating our Haciendas and added new facilities to our resort.

The Bagel beach is really nice and we just opened a few days ago our first Cupcake Cafe.

Please send me and e-mail and ill gladly send you more information

Warm regards

8. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 13, 2014