We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few final questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
st.louis
6 posts
Save Topic
a few final questions

Our group is heading to secrets in only 14 day and we have a few final questions. can you use a credit cards to book the off resort trips? What is the average amount of cash people take? Can anyone recommend some good trips. Is the snorkeling any good on the resort? I sure the are a few more but that is it for now. Thank you . everyone has been so helpful.

st.louis
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: a few final questions

STL
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a few final questions

We didn't stay at Secrets Capri, but at the Iberostar Lindo, which is in the same general location...north of PDC. There isn't much to see right off the beach, but you can take a boat to Maroma Beach, which is fairly close....the snorkling there was just alright.

This year we are staying farther south, which is closer to the great snorkling in the Akumal area...

You can use credit cards to book, but some of the places will give you a cash discount. I know the dive shop at the Iberostar complex did...but most accept plastic.

Have a great time!!! I am jealous I have to wait 6 more months!!!

STL
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a few final questions

Just read the rest of your post.....We plan on going to do Snuba, which is a cross between scuba and snorkling, as well as maybe doing the FatCat catamaran trip.

My husband and I brought $125 in singles for tipping, and $400 for extra stuff...the rest we just put on a credit card. Even though we were all-inclusive, it seems like the cash went fast! Plan a day and evening to go into Playa Del Carmen, we had a GREAT time cocktailing it up and down 5th ave as well as the beach bars---Blue Parrot was fun...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
576 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a few final questions

stltravel,

Yes you can use credit cards to book off resort trips, I'm assuming you are booked through Apple Vacations or one of the other major travel companies once you arrive at Secrets.

If so, you will be advised on the way to Secrets from the airport that you should meet with the travel rep from the company at around 4:30 PM and they address these issues and advise you what trips are available, etc...

As far as how much $$ you should take, well, this will have to be up to you. Really depends on how long you are staying and how much or if you plan on tipping. Have recommended befor taking $2.00 bills as the Mexicans believe they bring good luck and REALLY appreciate them if you are planning/considering tipping. At the least consider that if you do tip at least a dollar per rounds of drinks or other services from a waiter tip as you would here in St. Louis or other parts of the good ole US. We also applied this thought to dinner. We even left a little something for the maid each day.

Remember, the wages the made by most employees of Secrets is not much and they really servive on the tips they receive. Yes, tipping is not required, but very well appreciated.

As far as the snorkeiling goes, not sure what it is like at Secrets, but we did book one through our Apple Rep last time we went and it was very "neat"!

We are leaving may 20th for seven days, maybe we'l see you there!

CT
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a few final questions

I would highly recommend the "Mayan Encounter" with alltournative. We went on this tour in February and it was a great way to see Coba and do other adventuresome stuff. We are in our 40's and my son is 10. You can book them on their website or by telephoning from your resort and use credit card. So worth the $ !!! It is an all day trip and they pick you up at your resort in an A/C 10-12 seater van. You visit Coba, zip line, kayak, rappell, and visit a cenote. The rapelling is optional, my hubbie just watched us do this and thought we were NUTs! It was such a fun day but wear comfortable sneakers and take water. Also includes a very nice Mayan lunch. They have other tours too.

There are some reviews of alltournative on tripadvisor too. One review was of a couple who went about the same time we did and also took the snorkel tour but didn't like it as much as the Mayan Encounter.

Our first year to Mexico, we did Xcaret. We loved it there too especially the turtle exhibit and the dinner show. Just depends on what YOUR interests are when it comes to doing tours.