We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best All Inclusive with great beach

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, Ga
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Best All Inclusive with great beach

Any suggestions ? I love the beach and a nice resort. Mid 40's, love R& R, lounging by pool, good food & drinks. Help !

Illinois
Level Contributor
690 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

We just returned from the Royal Porto Real. BEAUTIFUL beach and fantastic facility! So luxurious-take advantage of the free spa (of course any service is extra). I can't imagine staying any other place and we usually want to try new places, but if I were to go to Playa again, this is the only place we will stay. Here is my review:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k58893…

Jerzee
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

Sorry but I have to disagree with beachgirl, the resort itself is top notch rooms foods grounds etc. But there are way better beaches in playa, have stayed in Mexico several times

And the only thing that keeps me from returning to the Royal Porto is the beach. My husband says its such a shame we would have found the perfect place!

Why do I say that you ask?

Its right next to the Cozumel Ferry, the water isnt as calm as it is further south, or as blue for that matter. There is more seaweed and rocks in this area, and I little bedris this is because it all gets caught up around the pier for the ferry (mother nature).

If you do go, just walk about 500 ft up the beach north ,to the public beach water and beach is nicer as in, sandier bottom, but your paying for Royal Porto, so why should you walk to the public beach

The beach is narrower then others in Playa, where I have stayed prior and the sand not as fine. It seems most guests stayed at the pool area here.

One Important note: On Sundays there the beach is overrun with locals, drinking, littering, really a shame, literally right on Royals beach. I inquired with the guard and he said "Everyone has off on Sundays and comes to 5th ave and Beach, unforutnately Royals beach and the Public just down the beach, they do not say much to them because most are intoxicated and they dont want a scene at there Hotel". Thats a qoute from Royal beach Security.

If you are not a big beach person then you won't have any issues but if you are a seasoned traveler to the carribbean as I am, you will be a bit dissappointed with their beach and water. The Hotel itself is a 5, beach 3.

well thats my 2 cents,

Illinois
Level Contributor
690 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

april-

We were there on a Sunday and there were lots of locals further North, but none if front of RPR. We thought the beach was beautiful, however as we walked south (on the other side of the pier) the beach was horrible-I even took pictures because it was so ugly. I am not an expert, but I thought it was a perfectly fine beach. Shania, if you are interested, post your email and I can send you pictures.

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

If you go further down, to the Rius or Tucan, the beaches are wonderful, and they are a $5 taxi ride to Playa. We love the Tucan, read some of their reviews, they are currently #2 on the forum. We also love the Palace but the beach is pretty much gone..

Jerzee
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

beachgirl, I understand, please dont misunderstand me,

You were lucky my experience was quite different on Sunday, the lady next to me with her child on the beach into the water and some locals went under her palpalas(of course they were drunk) anyway maybe its the time of year, I went in July.

Have you been to other resorts in the area? if you have some have worse beaches and some better. If this person is looking for the best beach in the area its bot at the Royal is all Im saying.

I know speaking with a few people on the beach some who had traveled alot to the carribbean were a bit disappionted, Im not saying the beach was horrible, no not at all, but further south the beaches and water are much better and calmer as in IB Tucan, Quetzal, Gala. and so on.

If someone is a Beach fanatic like myself and has traveled alot to Mexico & the Carribbean they might not think this beach is that great, is all Im saying, there are ALOT better in this area. It all depends whats important to the particular traveler. beach is #1 on the resort list for. I opted to stay elsewhere this year and the Hotel is not as nice as Royal , but its Nice just not as Luxurious Rooms, but the beach is better.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

How about another resort suggestion rather than arguing over just one???

I'll go ahead and suggest the Shangri-La Caribe. Now, I haven't been there yet (booked for this September), but A LOT of people on this forum and others think that this is the best part of the beach in the Playa del Carmen area, hands down. SLC is located north of town, within 10-15 minutes of walking to 5th Ave.

I am especially excited about this little resort because A) It is small, not a mega-resort. 2) It seems to be more laid-back, no organized activities, just a lot of R&R. Also) I really think I am going to get that "Caribbean Feel" here. Thatched roofs, palapas, bathing suit and sandals type of place, etc. Not a large concrete hotel. I'm excited about it!

(I don't know much about the pool, though. I get the impression that it is nice enough, but perhaps on the small side, compared to other resorts in the area.)

Mexico
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

Hi Shania,

Secrets Excellence has a great beach if you are looking for an adults only all inclusive resort. I go to Mexico a lot and have stayed at several resorts. Secrets and the Palace Resorts are my favorites. If you have questions you can email me...all one word...Serena James 13 at yahoo dot com.

Illinois
Level Contributor
690 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

beachbumaz-

We were not arguing at all, I am not mad nor offended and I hope I haven't made anyone mad. I am sure Shania appreciated any information she gets, I know I did when I was looking into choosing a resort.

We did walk past the Shangri-La Caribe and it did look very neat. The beach to me was pretty much the same as at RPR, because it is just a little north.

We have been to Jamaica (Ocho Rios and Montego Bay) and Cancun and Florida. I am just easy to please:) As long as I have some sand, a drink and sunshine I am happy:)! Good luck picking a resort, wherever you end up, I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

Shangri La does have a great beach, but it's basically the same beach as the Royal Porto Real. We had NO incidents or problems on the beach when we stayed at the RPR last year.

Great resort!!

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best All Inclusive with great beach

Hiow's the beach at the Riu Yucatan or Dreams( Sunscape?), Tulum?