We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stomach bug

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Labroquerie,Mb
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
stomach bug

Is this stomach bug really as bad as everyone is makin it out to be ? We will be in the area at the end of the month and don't want to be sick while there. Yes we do take precautions(wash often,hand sanitizer etc) but is it enough ? Kinda sounds like there's more to this....

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,510 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stomach bug

No-one wants to get sick on vacation but other than normal precautions (handwashing etc.), what else is there?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,585 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stomach bug

I think you can get it even if you stay home. My whole family has had some sort of tummy flu/cold and I know of many who were sick over Christmas. And we all got our flu shot....

You take a bug and put it in a mall, or a school, or an office ..... or in the case of a holiday, a plane and well you know what can happen.

Sounds like you have a good plan there. Also be careful of overindulging in things you don't normally eat or drink.... spices and coconut are notorious.

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stomach bug

It's running wild here in Massachusetts. I think I should go to Mexico to get away from it! Seriously it has run through half of my family. My uncle ended was in the emergency room and the nurses said they have never seen it so bad. I went to the dentist this morning and they said that they've had tons of cancellations because of the "bug". So don't worry about Mexico - it's every where!!!!

Darlington, Maryland
Level Contributor
224 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stomach bug

We were in Playa from Dec. 26 - Jan. 2. About three days in to our vacation four of the five of us came down with a bug. It didn't hit everybody the same way, but it hit pretty hard. I myself headed right over to the Pharmacia for Lomotil; others had belly aches and head aches. Knocked us off our plan for about a day, and we were all a little touchy for a couple of days. But it went away by itself. Initially we thought it was food poisoning, but the way that it hit suggests it was something we might have been exposed to on the plane on the way down. But I don't think it was a "Mexico" thing.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
298 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stomach bug

My husband was exposed to something on the plane ride home. Lasted about 4 days with a fever.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,510 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stomach bug

Suzia, on another thread you posted "My husband got sick about an hour into our flight home. Stomach issues, esp. nausea. Lasted about 4 days with a fever."

If you husband exhibited symptoms whilst on the plane and given that the incubation for norovirus is somewhere between 24 and 72 hours, doesn't that point to him being exposed to the virus BEFORE he got on the plane?

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stomach bug

My daughter missed almost a week of school due to a tummy bug and the rest of us were down with the flu. In fact, the flu has hit so early and hard that we are facing a shortage of vaccine this year- and you wouldn't think anything could survive our cold temps! This is not just a Mexico problem!

Labroquerie,Mb
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stomach bug

I just hope whatever this is will make its way out by the time we go on vacation !! Going to Playa Del Carmen any which way !!! LOL

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
302 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stomach bug

we leave in 2 days WOOHOOO we ain't scared, bring it!

here at home we've been sick 3 of the last 5 weeks. 75% of our friends and relatives have been sick at least once in as much time. it's Winter, this is what happens. but hey, if we're going to be sick then at least we're all in the sun and not stuck home :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stomach bug

my boyfriend and I are here now and we've both gotten it

Not fun :(