We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

since the safe can be over-ridden by an employee, would it be smarter to keep the small amount of cash we're bringing in our locked suitcase? an employee who's a thief would most likely want to be discreet about it...i don't foresee them tearing off a lock or cutting into a suitcase to root around at what they can't see.

any thoughts?

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

I've alway locked mine in my little hand luggage case and then put that inside my big case and locked that to and I've never had any problems. However, if there is a free safe in the room, I will use it and again, my safes in Mexico have never been tampered with.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
296 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

I've been to Mexico over a dozen times and always use the safe. Never had anything stolen.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

thanks y'all! :-)

in all of our visits, we've never had anything stolen either. but i definitely want to be proactive about any possibilities.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

"since the safe can be over-ridden..."

If it's a concern for you, you can choose a property where that is not the case. Of course you may then run into the flip side of the problem if you lose the only key and the property has to come in and break it open for you, partially destroying it, and probably charging you for that.

This is a particularly annoying problem for the guest to have when it's their check-out morning and they realize they can't go home until they get passports and money and so forth out of that safe. Which may illustrate in part why properties might be drawn to passcode safes that they can override...

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

Suitcase zips can be popped open with a biro!

We use a milockie on the hotel safe and we have not had any problems thus far.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

what if the safe doesn't work and no other rooms available...? maybe this...

ebay.ca/itm/…380395294084

We always use the safes with no issues ,,, so far...

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

I don't use the cheap standard suitcase locks, I use more of a pad lock with digits.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

The safe in the room has always worked well for us. I like the ones you can choose your own code.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

"I don't use the cheap standard suitcase locks, I use more of a pad lock with digits."

Doesn't matter if your suitcase has a zipper - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mvvZl6pLI

I read somewhere to look for suitcases with chunky zippers, apparently the pen trick doesn't work on them.

Edited: 12:13 pm, January 08, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keep $ in safe or locked suitcase?

Jetsetlife is that you?