We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Yonkers, NY
Level Contributor
500 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

I wanted to try out this hotel but after reading so many reviews regarding theft and intruders in the rooms I'm having my doubts.Does anybody have any information on this.I want to try out this hotel but don't want to get robbed.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

People who actually post reveiws on Trip Advosor probably count for less than 1% of people who visit these resorts. Theft can and does happen everywhere. Just be smart with your valuables.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,447 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

Gracious - could you please expand upon "so many reviews regarding theft and intruders". I've just scanned the most recent 3 pages of reviews and can only find one such report.

The review in question just referred to "theft of some small items" but didn't provide any more information as to what was taken or the circumstances surrounding the loss.

ALL resorts, including the VIM, have reports of theft from time to time and I'm absolutely NOT staying that it doesn't happen on occasion. However, I wonder just how many of the "stolen" items are later found in a pocket, or suitcase or at the back of a drawer. With respect to theft of cash, I wonder how many times a person either forgot about that $20 they took out or simply miscounted.

In these cases, it's so difficult to prove who culprit is. Everyone tends to assume the resort staff are responsible but how can anyone be sure that it isn't another resort guest? As for the resort itself being unresponsive, how do they know the item really was stolen and not just misplaced (t's amazing how easy it is to be forgetful after a couple of cocktails) or perhaps that person claiming $2000 was stolen from their safe never really had that sort of cash in the first place and are just using as a ruse to get some sort of compensation or upgrade from the resort.

I've been to the VIM four times. I've also been to several other resorts throughout the area. I have never had anything stolen..... EVER. I am fairly prudent about putting my valuables into the safe but I won't say that I've never left my camera, cell phone, iPod etc. lying around. Anything with a high monetary or sentimental value (e.g. jewellery) gets left at home.

Unless I saw a very definite and very strong pattern of thefts occurring at a resort, I certainly wouldn't let this sort of thing sway my choice at all.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

Agreed. Vast majority of people that have satisfactory vacation are not going to post. However those that had some kind of bad experience will, to let off some steam.

Theft happens everywhere.

Keep cash, valuables and electronics always in the safe when not in the room. Leave jewellery or sentimental value items at home. Don't allow kids to take their ipods to the beach. I have seen youngsters crying when they misplaced it somewhere. Then some parents blame the resort for not returning it.

If you flash jewellery or stacks of cash you are asking to be a target, and not only in Mexico. Out of hundreds of honest, hard working resort staff there will always be one that is a crook. It is not that important to impress total strangers at a resort.

Edited: 3:55 pm, December 11, 2012
Yonkers, NY
Level Contributor
500 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

hey thanks Lisa for answering.I usually don't look at the negative reviews but i started reading the terrible reviews dating back to 2010 and i read about 20 reviews about thefts.I saw pictures of vim and i taught this place could be great and the over-sized balcony is a plus.I hope this place is as good as it looks.I will try to consider them for my next vacation.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

I agree with the other posters. I think a lot of times things disappear because of a lot of alcohol consumption, things being left places because there is so much going on, etc. I know I once lost a great beach coverup because it was white and I think it ended up in a pile of towels. I thought it through and realized what I had done; it would have been easy to think someone grabbed it.

BUT we always use the safes for cash, passports, and electronics. While I don't think any staff would take the chance on losing their job (an Ipod really isn't worth a long-term job), there are exceptions. And in the same vein, people who would steal at home also go on vacation. So some actual thefts may not be by staff but fellow tourists.

Just my thoughts on the whole theft thing.

Yonkers, NY
Level Contributor
500 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

where do you get the best price for the VIM Lisa?

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,447 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

Gracious - 3 out of 4 trips have been booked through expedia.ca using the "flight + hotel" option. The flight price is the same as if I book directly with the airline but the hotel is discounted. On my last trip (two months ago), I booked a package with a company called Westjet Vacations - simply because they were cheaper (plus, Westjet is one of my favourite airlines).

Tips for saving money:

- travel during low season (obviously!);

- mid-week flights are typically cheaper than weekend ones;

- consider connecting flights. They're not always cheaper than non-stop and you're increasing your risk of delays and lost luggage. My personal line in the sand is $500 - if I can save that much or more, I'm willing to take a connecting flight. If you try this, make sure you allow plenty of layover time, especially on the way home (when you will have to clear Customs and collect and recheck your baggage).

It's a very personal thing but I wouldn't pay for an upgraded room at the VIM. I think the basic Deluxe Juniors are very nice and they are the most centrally located on the resort anyway.

Yonkers, NY
Level Contributor
500 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

my wife likes the oversized balcony or a swimup suite have you stayed in these rooms before?

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,447 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

I've never stayed in a swim up suite but have stayed in the same buildings on the third floor (Golden suite). The swim ups don't have a balcony at all. They have a small patio or terrace and then there's about a 10 foot strip of grass between your patio door and the pool. One of the downsides of these suites is that you can't lock the patio door from the outside, so unless you plan on hanging out close to your room the entire time, you will have to lock the doors from the inside and go out the main (front door) of the suite and walk around anyway. Also, although this only effects a couple of suites, if you are at the very end of building 6 or building 8, the pool is actually more like 20 - 25 feet from your patio door. It's almost as if they built the pool a little bit too short! I never even noticed it myself but we got chatting to a couple at the French restaurant one night and they were both pretty upset about being at the very end of building 6 and the fact that the pool was those extra five or six steps away. (Actually, "upset" is rather an understatement; he was VERY p*ssed about it.)

As for the balconies on the upper floors, I think the second floor ones are larger than the third floor ones. They're not particularly huge either way but plenty of space for a table and a couple of chairs. We ordered room service and had breakfast on our balcony on several mornings.

The Golden buildings are in a slight arc formation with the balconies being on the inside curve of the arc. To me, this gives a vaguely claustrophobic feeling and the balconies certainly don't feel particularly private. I prefer the balconies on the Deluxe Junior suites for this reason.

Hope this helps but if you want to know anything else about the VIM, feel free to ask away.

Yonkers, NY
Level Contributor
500 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are there so many thefts at the VIM?

is it cheaper to wait to get there to upgrade to the imperial suite?