We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Playa del Carmen

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Omaha, Nebraska...
6 posts
Save Topic
Riu Playa del Carmen

We are trying to decide between the Riu Tequila and Riu Palace Riviera Maya. Any thoughts?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

What is important for you in a resort?

Omaha, Nebraska...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

Mainly fun...lively atmosphere. Friends want to stay at the Palace Riviera Maya. How hard would it be to get together if we stayed at two different resorts?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

Tequila is definitely more of a party resort than rprm. But we just got back from rprm and we had a lot of fun...but the resort definitely dies down at 11...whereas the tequila has a small

nightclub that goes late.

If you stay at rprm you can go to all of the other rius in the area...if you stay at the tequila you can only go to two others.

Tequila is not on the beach ...rprm is with a beach bar, pool bar looking towards beach and excellent beach drink service. Tequila shares the beach with riu yucatan. Not that thats bad but its just a little bit if a ealk.

Good thing is that they are both in playacar which means very nice beach and walking distance to town.

Edited: 12:16 am, December 05, 2012
Montoursville, PA
Level Contributor
709 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

The walk is short between the two.

Obviously there is a price difference. RPRM is more expensive but well worth it.

If it were me, I would stay at the palace (and I have!) and walk to the nightclub at the Tequila when you want!

South Jersey
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

Quick question...I just booked a week in February at the Riu Palace Rivera Maya. How far is RPRM from the town of Playa del Carmen to catch the ferry to Cozumel, etc.? Is it within walking distance? Ty for any info you guys can provide.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

It's definitely reachable by walking - 20 minutes or so. You can also take the Riu Lupita bus, which picks up guests at the RPRM entrance, and take it to its first stop, which is at the entrance to town. The walk from there to the dock is about 5 minutes

South Jersey
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

Thank you so much for the information Keith...it is very helpful. Enjoy your vacation Ellen S. where ever you decide to stay.

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

If Money not an issue I will Stay at Palace and just walk to Tequila for Night time fun. Palace is Expensive then others Riu Resorts..

Omaha, Nebraska...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

Thoughts about RPRM vs. RPM?

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Playa del Carmen

Yes RPM is very attractive too, close to downtown and I think better fine Dinning then RPRM.

But RPRM gives you access to its other 5 Sisters Resorts which are all walking distance except Lupita..

I never stayed in either of them just my .02 Cents...