We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are pools too cold beginning April?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Are pools too cold beginning April?

I have read recently about the pools at the Paradisus La Esmeralda not being heated and that they are too cold to go into.

Will they be too cold at the beginning of April. We have never been to Mexico before, so don't know what to expect.

I am also panicking now regarding the reviews saying that the beach at the Paradisus La Esmeralda isn't nice and that there are lots of rocks etc. All advice, comments and photos greatly appreciated. This will be our wedding so obviously we want to make the right choice.

Many Thanks!

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are pools too cold beginning April?

We go every year to Cancun & Playa and the pools are fine. It's usually in the mid to high 80's and sometimes gets into the low 90's.

Don't know about the the beach condition at PLE.

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are pools too cold beginning April?

Thanks so much for the reassurance regarding the pool temperatures in April - greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are pools too cold beginning April?

What is cold to you and cold to me is all relative. And a lot of it will depend on the weather at the time of your trip. My honeymoon was in mid April of 2008 and the pool at the resort I was staying in was too cold for me, but the ocean was warmer. However, it was cloudy for most of our trip and I was told it was unseasonably windy that week for that time of year.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are pools too cold beginning April?

We've been to Cancun in March and April, and the pools were perfect. Not cold, but not too warm, either. They were great to cool off in after being in the heat of the sun.

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are pools too cold beginning April?

We've never had any real problems with pool temps at that time of year. Occasionally they were cool (not cold) when you first jumped in, but they were fine after the initial plunge. One year the pool at the VIM was quite warm around the end of April and we actually preferred the cooler pool as it was more refreshing.

I've heard that the Riu Palace is now pitching a heated pool, but it doesn't reopen until December. I think there are a couple others as well, just can't think of them at the moment (maybe do a search above).

In any case, a couple extra tequila shots tends to take the cold edge off :-)

Have Fun!!

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are pools too cold beginning April?

Thanks very much all...I'm not too sure about giving the kids a tequila shot before they get in the pool, but I could drink theirs if I had to!! :-)

All the info is greatly appreciated.

Sharon

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are pools too cold beginning April?

LOL Snow! Yeah, no shots for the kiddies! Are your kids more like toddlers or older? I have noticed that when it comes to pool temps I am a lot more of a weenie than my niece and nephew (6 and 8) are about cold pool temps. I wont get it but they jump in and are fine. If they are little bitty kids, then yea there may be reason for concern.

8. Re: Are pools too cold beginning April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, December 17, 2013