We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Telcel prepaid data plan(internet) in PDC - Nov 2012

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Montreal, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Telcel prepaid data plan(internet) in PDC - Nov 2012

We got prepaid data/cell phone service from Telcel. Spanish was not needed.

Information strictly reflects my own opinion/experience in PDC - Nov 2012.

What we used: Samsung Galaxy S3 (GS3) - unlocked. used as hotspot base.

What was needed:

- Unlocked ipad/Smartphone with GSM/UMTS/HSPS (must have sim slot, most of recent smartphone works)

- ID (driver's license, I'm canadian and it was fine)

- Peso or Credit card (No US accepted, cost me 649 peso)

----------

- If a smartphone has hotspot feature, it will be able to share the internet.

- Some of devices from CDMA country do not have GSM/UMTS/HSPS (ex: 3G ipad 2 from Verizon).

- Last time I checked, Telcel was using 3G UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900 Mhz

----------

We went to a Telcel service center at Soriano mall in PDC. No teller wants to speak with us but one. Waited 5 mins to get this guy. This teller was very fluent with English and helped us getting the service.

We got

- SIM 149 peso (They have regular and micro. didn't ask about mini-sim. We got a mexican cell number)

- Prepaid service 500 peso (We used 400 peso to get 3 GB+3 GB bonus data. It is called "ipad 2 prepaid plan". We left 100 peso to use on phone service. I believe we got 50 bonus peso later)

We went back and forth from the teller to a cashier twice. He wrote down my info and filled out multiple forms. Signed, put in SIM, test and done. Getting SIM is non-refundable. You will need to do your homework with your phone. Make sure it is compatible.

It took 20 mins to complete. We got the signal right away.

----------

Experience with Telcel

- We never made a call using it. So no comment about call quality

- Internet: Not bad at all. 3G works fine and works everywhere. Tried oversea "Facetime" holding it just above water at OGX beach using iphone 4S with "lifeproof" case, smooth streaming. Akumal bay and Xcaret park was no problem.

We left the base GS3 in the middle room and used internet in adjacent rooms. Wireless VOIP was smooth. All in all, we had 7 devices connected to GS3 - iphones, VOIP, tablet, laptops.

We ended up using 3 GB in 9 days (I got up at 4 and worked 3 hours every morning). It was way better than hotel's wifi because:

- I get internet everywhere I go, no weak signal.

- Connect multiple devices at the same time.

- Cheaper. 649 peso (apprx 50 US)

We threw away Telcel sim and the balace in prepaid account. It will expire in 3 months if I don't refill it.

----------

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,209 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Montreal, Quebec...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Telcel prepaid data plan(internet) in PDC - Nov 2012

Hey, fellow Montrealer here.

We're looking into going to Mexico in February/march this year and I need high speed internet for work. We're planning on staying in Puerto Aventuras.

Do you know how fast the 3G speed is there and if it was ok to send/receive large files?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Montreal, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Telcel prepaid data plan(internet) in PDC - Nov 2012

3G data was about 150 KB per second when I used it. Very much comparable to Canadian service. My voip was very good. I downloaded 700 MB file without much problem.

They might have 4G now. Should check before leaving.

Montreal, Quebec...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Telcel prepaid data plan(internet) in PDC - Nov 2012

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated

4. Re: Getting Telcel prepaid data plan(internet) in PDC - Nov 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 04, 2014