We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, OR
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

TA has been such a big help for us in planning our first trip to the area. Would be glad to answer any questions.

Couple in our low to mid 60's. Worldmark owners - used RCI plus a free week for the resort. Stayed in the Mayan Place (Bldg 2) for a week and then the Grand Mayan (Bldg 1) for a week. Both taxi and resort shuttle to Playa several times, trip to Cozumel (rented taxi all day), Tulum Ruins and "Tulum Beach Club Crawl" (rented Taxi all day), Collectivo to Pureto Morelas, Xcaret plus dinner show, scuba and parasail at the resort, pools and Happy Hours.

We had a wonderful time. Resort is huge, pools were fantastic, 5 restaurants (we only ate at 3), market has essentials, went to WalMart several times for supplies (booze +), staff was great, small issues were resolved quickly.

Beds at the Palace were firm, but we liked them. Beds at the Grand were way to hard for us so we asked for and got a pad. Anytime we asked for something there was a followup to make sure we got what we needed. Always helped with a smile. Lots of paths so had to get oriented, but can't really get lost. Grounds are immaculate. Pools are very clean, but cool. Ocean was a great temp, but rocky and really swimmable. Still beautiful.

Contacted concierge at each place about a month ahead of time asking for buildings 1-4 at each resort. Low season so we got nice rooms, but also mentioned our 30th.

Will have a more detailed review for each resort. Again, would be glad to answer questions.

san diego
Level Contributor
437 posts
1. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

My family and I will be going there next year for a wedding. We are trying to decide whether to rent a car or just do taxis/shuttles. After doing a cost comparison it seems like renting car is the better way to go. We will be doing the same type of day trips. Would you do all taxis/shuttle again?

How extensive is the grand mayan market? What types of snacks/food/booze do they have? Do we really need to go to Walmart for stuff? At $50 RT for a taxi to Walmart I would think any Walmart savings would be negated. Hence one of the reasons for renting a car.

Thoughts?

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

I walked past the Mayan last week and cannot see how you could swim there? It was the rockiest place I have ever seen. I did not see anyone in the ocean.

Albany, OR
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

The taxi is Mxn 225 or around $18 each way. We got a taxi back for Mxn 200 or $16. The shuttle from the resort is Mxn 50 each person each way. If you have 4 people that makes it about the same plus you don't have to follow the shuttle schedule: departs 9, 11, 1, 3 come back 2,4 7, 9. We always combined our WalMart with other activities, such as trips to Playa, etc, so going anyway. The first time we had a lot of supplies so a taxi worked better than trying to get it all in the shuttle, which can be full. Other times we had a few items and shuttle worked ok. We did not rent a car. I can see why it might be more convenient, but we did not have to worry about parking or driving directions, so worked for us.

There might be times a car is better and you could rent for for a day or 2 on those occasions, saving some. Depends on how much time you plan on spending at the resort.

The market has food and a deli. I think most things were pretty spendy. We bought large bottled of water for making coffee (40 pesos) that worked well for us. Bought bottled water, beer, tequila and rum at Walmart as well as some crackers, lunch meat and cheeze. If you were doing this daily it could get spendy, where if combined with another trip it was cheaper. Deli has rolls, muffins, coffee, sandwiches, cake. Market area adjoining has beer, good assortment of wine & booze, water, bread, cookins, ice cream, candy, chips, a lot of items actually. Also sun screen, hats, clothes, jewelry, again lots of stuff.

Reminder that all of this is charged to your room. There was also a crepe place there, but we did not eat anything there. We checked closely and the charges were correct. We used the market any time we were buying a few things we needed right away.

jeffb32 - Whoops, typo on the beach. I meant to say it was NOT swimmable. Too rocky. But above that was sand, lounge chairs and palapas, palm trees and service for drinks, etc. We set out there several times and had drinks and pizza. The ocean is still beautiful. They do have waverunner rentals and other activities from the south end of the beach.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
156 reviews
4. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

Now I gotcha. I walked to the resort from the VIM and actually walked back and forth twice to make sure I was actually seeing how bad I thought it was.

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

What is the hold-back on your card per person when you check in? I heard from $100 to $400 per person.

Is the check-in at 5 pm as per their website?

Also, what is a car rental company on site? Is it Hertz or someone else?

Thanks!

Albany, OR
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

We were going to walk to the VIM because we had heard the beach was good, but just never made it. Tried to walk south toward the Iberostar which was supposed to have a nice beach, but hit an area where we had to skirt a wall around a private residence (looked empty) so we gave up and came back.

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

There is no such thing as a private beach in Mexico. You are free to walk along or use the beach by any resort or private property, but not enter it.

Edited: 2:08 pm, November 18, 2012
Albany, OR
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

Understood. The residence had a seawall for several hundred yards with coral/rock and waves so that is why we decided to abandon the walk.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

How about the free shuttle from the airport? Did you had to wait a long time to get to the hotel? How many family in the shuttle?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Just back from Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan

How about the free shuttle from the airport? Did you had to wait a long time to get to the hotel? How many familys in the shuttle?