We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip/Excursion companies

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochford, Essex
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip/Excursion companies

Hello

My boyfriend and I are off to Mexico on 3rd December, can anyone recommend any good and reasonably priced trip/excursion companies?

Thanks

Kelly :)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

I've personally used Yucatreks and Mayan Adventures and would recommend them both. Edventures also comes highly recommended, although I've never used them personally.

What sort of excursions are you thinking of? There's lots to see and do in the area that doesn't require any sort of organized tour - in fact, in many cases, it's less expensive and more fun to go off on your own.

Rochford, Essex
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

Thanks for the recommendations, I will have a look.

We're not sure what we fancy yet trip wise, we have never been before and want to see and do as much as we can.. But not spend a fortune!.. Any suggestions welcome :)

Thanks

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

Here's one idea:

- take the collectivo to Tulum as early in the morning as you can (to avoid the crowds);

- tour the ruins for a while until you've had your fill;

- leave the ruins by the south/side entrance and either grab a taxi or walk down the road a few hundred yards until you come to a cut-out to the beach. Once you're on the beach, just walk until you find a place that appeals for lunch and have yourself some chill time. (If you grab a taxi, ask them to take you to Om Tulum or La Zebra.)

- if you feel a bit more energetic, either skip lunch or leave immediately after for Akumal Beach - you can snorkel with turtles, eat with your toes in the sand and spend a lovely afternoon on the beach;

- if you have the energy and the inclination, head back to Playa del Carmen for some retail therapy and dinner and dancing into the wee hours.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

Contact Edventure Tours. They have tours already set up or will design a day around what you want to do.

http://www.edventuretours.com.mx/

oh
Level Contributor
487 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

I recommend "Capt Quickie", did a fantastic job for us last Feb

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

I second Yucatreks, we've used them three times and they were great.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

I always use Edventure. You can customize your entire day and we have always had a blast! We have always had a small group of 3-5 people which is really nice. I have used them twice and am using them again when I head to Mexico Dec 2.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

What you really want Kelly is value for your money. Edventure Tours, Yucatreks, Alltournative Tours, Captain Quickie, Xcaret, Xplor and Xel Ha all offer value for your money. If you feel it was money well spent, then you win.

If you have a budget problem, like my kids, then this forum can suggest some DIY trips.

It's so nice to be able to spend a few bucks and make it less sress free, and memorable.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

We've done a variety of different daytrips, some on our own and some with tour companies. The two tour companies that I really liked were Edventures and Alltournatives.

Edventures was totally customizable and reasonably priced considering we had a private tour. They took us to a cenote to swim, to Yalku lagoon and to Akumal to swim with the turtles. Our friends, who did a different tour, went ziplinging and to Tulum.

Alltournatives has some really nicely organized trips to Coba, Tulum and Ek Balam. They are very professional and they do a lot in one day.

If you want to save some money and DIY, Cozumel is easy to get to on your own, simply take the ferry and then once you are there you can snorkel from

shore at a place like the Money Bar, go to the Marine reserve or hire a boat to take you out (haggling on the price can get you a better deal, the closer they are to filling the boat, the lower they will go). You can take a colectivo to get to Tulum or Yalku or Akumal although once you get off the colectivo you still will want to take a taxi to Yalku, it seems like it would be a really long hot walk in the blazing sun.

If you want you can spend a full day at either Xelha or Xcaret, they are sort of Disneyified versions of Mexico but when I was younger I would have enjoyed them a lot. They aren't cheap but you can spend the whole day there.

Rochford, Essex
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip/Excursion companies

Hi guys

Thanks for all of your wonderful ideas, I now have the confidence to do trips alone!

How much is the colectivo from playa del carmen to Akumal?

Oldtraveller3 - you were right, we do have a budget and would like to do the following for as little as possible:

- Xel Ha - £74.50 (with our holiday rep) - but will be looking for cheaper!

- Fat cat catamaran - £59.50 (again with our rep) - same as above!

- Akumal - cheapest possible way?

- Cozumel - how much is the ferry?

- Coco Bongo

Any ideas welcome :)

Thanks

Kelly