We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas
9 posts
Save Topic
Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

We decided to do a last minuet trip. I paid for it today and we are leaving on Sat.(2 days from now). This will be the first time taking our kids with us to Plya, they are 6 and 13. The reviews worry me a bit, but we got a pretty good deal. Leave Sat. come back Wed. for 4 people, AI with airfare for 2500. At least I think that is good. Can someone reassure us that this resort is not all bad. We have been to Plya before(3 times at El Dorado Royale and once at the Royal Hideaway) and love it. I know it will not be as good as the other 2 resorts we have been to, but I won't the kids, as well as us, to have a good time. Thanks for any help.

eric

Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

We just got back from the Barcelo Maya Beach less than two weeks ago. I would be glad to try to answer any questions you might have. I'm sure that this resort will probably not compare to the other two places you have been to (they are both highly rated) but we enjoyed our stay and your children will probably love it (they have two nice kids clubs and a waterpark for kids which just opened recently). The biggest problem we had with this resort was its service. They just didn't seem as friendly as other places we have been to (Iberostar Del Mar and Tucan). However, if you can put this aside, you should still enjoy yourselves. Wish I were there now! The Colonial/Tropical side is the newer section which does have the nicer restaurants and rooms. I heard that you can pay an extra charge to be able to use their specialty restaurants and buffets.

Dallas
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions? Room #. Is it possible to upgrade room? Best resturants? Anything you can think of. This trip is really for the kids. We normally go to adult only. As long as the food is tolerable,and I can have a margartia then I will be okay. Did tipping help your service at all.

Thanks

Eric

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

Check out

www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

Check out

www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

Ooops--sorry for the double post. My finger went spastic.

Meadville, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

What section of the resort are you staying in? Barcelo Maya Beach or Caribe? There are also the Tropical and Colonial sections (these are the newer rooms). Do you like to be near the pool or do you prefer the garden areas? The unofficial barcelo website has a lot of information including a resort map which may be helpful.

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone going Barcelo May Beach Resort???

Hi Eric, we were there last year in between hurricanes and it is a lovely place. There is plenty to do. Rent a car if you are traveling anywhere else. The food is buffet food. Kids love the pizza it seemed when we were there. Enjoy yourself.