We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nextel service in PDC?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gibbsville PA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Nextel service in PDC?

Anyone know if there is any nextel service in Playa Del Carmen? I've read other posts on other cell providers, but nothing on Nextel. Thanx

central Calif
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nextel service in PDC?

They say it works but Nextel told me I needed Worldwide service so I went ahead a added it, we'll see I will be there Saturday.

Illinois
Level Contributor
690 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nextel service in PDC?

We were just there-we did not try to dial, because we had already rented a phone through Cancun Valet (last time our providers were suppose to work & didn't), however he did 2 way and it worked perfectly!

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nextel service in PDC?

As per my previous posts on this, Nextel is up and running in this corridor as of a few months ago, and radio as well as calling works from Mexico back to the States. I've seen my guests do it in on multiple occasions right front of my very eyes. :-)

A cursory check of Nextel's site in this regard shows that the radio function now works between any 2 of the countries Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Brazil, Pero and Argentina. However whereas that site seems to list a cost of US $0.20 for radio connections internationally, Nextel info here in Mexico lists a price of I believe 3 pesos, which would be more like US $.30. So you may have to check on yoru particular plan for prices and such.

Steve

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nextel service in PDC?

What about Verizon???

Illinois
Level Contributor
690 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nextel service in PDC?

Verizon is iffy! Last June ours did NOT work and it was suppose to. This past week our friends phone would ring, but she could never receive the call, but she hadn't called to let them know she would be out of the country and so maybe that was part of the problem. She claims she used hers when they were there last year and it worked. It may depend on the phone.