We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

Hi,

Thomson have just offered me a discounted excursion for pre-booking:

£69 per person for a trip to Isla Mujeres, with a dolphin experience (foot push, kiss, etc) lasting 1 hour and also a fantasy snorkel (whatever that is!), all transportion to/from hotel is included.

At first I said no because I don't like the idea of dolphins in captivity in a park somewhere, but she said that they are definitely in their own habitat, in the sea, although they are obviously in captivity still.

Does anyone think this is a good offer at that price and I should take it up, or would I be able to get it cheaper and maybe a better experience with a local excursion company once I'm over there?

Has anyone done this excursion with Thomsons?

I'm not interested in hearing the rights and wrongs about this type of activity thanks, just if people think it's a good deal or not :o)

Thanks.

Barnsley, England
Level Contributor
783 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

Hi cagzy - we did the Isla Mujeres dolphin experience about 4 years ago, that does sound like a pretty good price. The dolphins do have loads of room to swim around in the sea. Ours was classed as a 'platinum cruise'...and although the dolphin part was brilliant, the platinum cruise bit wasnt! - the food was awful so we didnt bother having anything to eat. We also had the option of going to see the turtles, but didn't realise you had to ride a bike down to see them, which I found to be too much in the Mexico heat (thought I was going to pass out!!) although some people were fine with that.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

I have just come back from Mexico and as part of the holiday my wife went for a swim with dolphins.

While she loved the swim part neither of us liked the high pressure selling at the end of the swim to get you to buy photograhs and videos.

While you are in the water they have about a dozen people filming you and videoing you. As soon as you are out the water they take you to a room to watch the videos and see the pictures.

They then start their high pressure selling.

To buy the complete DVD with all photos and all videos was about £80 (which is more than we paid for the swim itself). And even a single photo was not cheap.

Methinks they price the swim low to make their money on the photos and DVDs.

Having said all that, my wife loved the swim.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

Just do it yourself. Take the ADO bus from PDC to downtown Cancun bus station, US$5 cab ride to the ferry at Gran Puerto, 140 pesos pp roundtrip on the ferry. Rent a golf cart and tour the island. You can make up your mind about the dolphin swim when you get there. Very easy to do.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,513 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

I agree on doing Isla Mujeres on your own. Did it last summer and it was amazing. Took the ferry and rented a golf cart for the day.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

Thanks everyone.

I've heard about the hard sell of photos and DVDs, and I'm too polite so won't like that!

I think we might just give the dolphins a miss, and maybe just take ourselves to Akumal and hopefully be able to swim with the turtles.

I'm not really a fan of organised excursions, especially booking in advance.

Thanks again for your replies.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

Many years ago my DH and I wnt on an excursion/ booze cruise to Isla. We pretty much thought it was completely lame. Fast forward about 10 years where we went on our own ( this time with kids in tow) and rented a golfcart and toured around. It was one of the funnest days ever on vacation. If you go, do it on you own- you won't regret it IMO.

Barnsley, England
Level Contributor
783 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

swimming with turtles at Akumal Bay is fantastic....much preferred that to the Thomsons Isla Mujeres tour

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

"At first I said no because I don't like the idea of dolphins in captivity in a park somewhere, but she said that they are definitely in their own habitat, in the sea, although they are obviously in captivity still."

Well if that sort of thing is your concern — and others will please take proper note of that qualifier, thank you! — you would want to investigate the matter further, as no such comparison can reasonably be made between the two settings or situations. (Indeed you'll find that is probably the single biggest argument against captive swim programs, if you read up on them.)

Sounds like a swim in the wild type of arrangement might be more to your liking. Again if what you noted above is in fact a concern of yours. (You indicated it probably was, not me!)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

Thanks again everyone for your input, we are going to do our own outings, with Akumal top of our list, and probably a trip to Isla Mujeres and rent a golf cart - sounds like fun!

The only "excursion" we will probably do is a catamaran or boat trip cos we love a good boat trip.

Barnsley, England
Level Contributor
783 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Excursion: Isla Mujeres/Dolphin Swim/Fantasy Snorkel

the catamaran trips are really good but if you want an adrenaline rush do the F1 speedboat!!.....its SO fast! - scared me to death lol!