We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best AI for the Grandkids

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Alberta
Level Contributor
364 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best AI for the Grandkids

Just trying to pick a hotel for a family vacation that includes me and Grandpa (late 50), Children 30's, and 4 grandchildren between 6 and 1. Now the old saying is if the wife's happy --------. Well those of us know it's actually if the grandkids are occupied everyone is happy. So what are your best suggestions for AI's that are good for both adults and especially kids. I checked out the best for Families on tripadvisor and was kind of surprised that the top picks were also luxury picks. I'm not cheap but we're paying for all. (must be really clean. Don't want any tummy upsets if we can avoid it) Any suggestions.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

A few options. The Barcleo Maya complex (Beach, Caribe, Tropical, Colonial or Palace) is great for kids, they have a good kids club for 4 - 12 and they have a water park area that would be even good for the little ones. They also have one of the best beaches. The Beach and Caribe are at the far south and are the oldest, but still nice, but you are only able to use their facilities (with the exception of the snack bars and water park over at the Tropicalf). The Colonial and Tropical are in the middle and you have access to the 4 areas. The Palace is at the other end and much higher price and access to all 5. I dont' think I would pay for the Palace, but would for the middle two. The beach is the best in front of the maya or caribe.

The Sandos Caracol also has an even better water park, but is a lower category hotel.

The Dreams Puerto Aventuras or Dreams Tulum are very good friendly and have one of the best kids clubs I have ever seen. My kids never wanted to leave and would stay for hours.

Good luck:)

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

Sandos Caracol

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

Have a look at the Paladium too.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

If you want to stay in Cancun, look at Great Parnassus. We stayed at the Golden, but visited the Great one day. It looked like a kid's paradise to me! They also have an adult pool and bar area on the roof, overlooking the golf course.

We ate at their buffet while we were there -- big selection, with a lot of kid friendly choices. I had to get out of there, though, because my kid has recently grown up (18 now) and I am ready for a break from kids for awhile!

Pretty sure the Great is budget friendly, as well. And if any of the adults can get away - there is a shuttle so you can go over and visit the Golden, which is all adults.

I told my DH that I wish we'd have known about the Great when our son was little. We took him to a couple places that were "ok" -- but he'd have loved the Great, I think!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

We are going back to Iberostar Tucan/Qtzl for the exact reason. So kid friendly and we love it there. Yes they have a kids club too.

75 days until we leave.

Good luck on your search.

Chicago
Level Contributor
728 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

You might look at the Iberostar Paraisio Beach or the Iberostar Del Mar, which are a bit less money than the Tucan/Quetzal. I know proce is a consideration, but if you can get a deal on the Iberostar Lindo, it's a great choice for kids.

wildrose wisconsin
Level Contributor
712 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

i am your age and if i brought my grandkids it would be sandos caracol without a doubt. we went last year it is a great place. the kids will love it and prices out very good also. lots for kids. even got popsicles every day and someone making things out of balloons and they will learn alot to about eco friendly and mayan culture. you will not be dissappointed. ask me any questions will be glad to answer.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

Look at Dreams Riviera Cancun as well. In my opinion, everything is geared towards the kids, but still very nice (liquor and restaurants and service) for the adults. We saw many grandparents, parents and children families when we were there last April.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

Sandos Caracol. Most kid freindly resort we have ever been to.

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best AI for the Grandkids

We brought our grandson to the Iberostar Quetzal and he really loved it there. He made so many friends including the first little boy he met from Italy. He didn't speak English and our grandson did not speak Italian but watching them communicate was just priceless. Now the other grandkids want to go and it will definitely be the Quetzal that we take them to.