We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Topic
Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

We're trying to decide between these two resorts since they're around the same price range. From what I've been reading form older threads, I understand that the Yucatan is a little bigger and livelier while the Playacar is a little less crowded and more intimate - especially their beach and pool. Is this still the case?

Most importantly, can someone who's been recently tell me how their beaches compare? Also, how far of a walk is it to Riu Tequila and Yucatan from Riu Playacar?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

The beaches are basicly the same, check the webcam from the Royal Hideaway which is next door to the Playacar. http://www.royal.collatio.tv/ Using the Google Earth measuring tool from the Playacar to the Yucatan via the beach it's 483 yards with the Viva Maya and Riu Palace Mexico between them. From the front entrance of the Playacar to the Tequila's front entrance via the sidewalk it's 383 yards. Just a few minutes walk to either.

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

Is it true that Yucatan's beach is much more crowded than Playacar's since people from Riu Tequila also use it?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

I'd say yes. But there used to be, maybenot after the renos, a small section in front of the Riu Palace Mexico for Tequila guests but for the most part Tequila guests hang out in front of the Yucatan so they can be close to the bars.You didn't say when you're thinking of going so keep in mind that the Yucatan will be closed Apr 20 - Jul 20 ish and Tequila guests will probably be using the Playacar during those dates.

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

We're heading there for New Years week.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

Both beaches will be very busy at that time. But you should still be able to find lounges on the beach and move them to where you'd like. Around the pools is another matter and they get occupied very quickly.

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

Right but will there be one beach that's particularly busier than the other or is it negligible?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

Yucatan will be busier because it's larger than the Playacar with more people and those from the Tequila who want the beach.

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

Gotcha. Appreciate your input.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

They are really close together... only one resort separates the two. If one is busy or you want a change of scenery, then walk over to the other. I like the pool at the Playacar much better than then one at the Yucatan but the one at the Yucatan, if you can snag chairs, has a great view of the ocean from one side.

One thing I love about RIU's is that chairs aren't an issue... you just have to be a little flexible about where you want to sit.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Playacar vs Riu Yucatan

Actually two 1uvtheSun, Riu Palace Mexico and Wyndham Viva Maya.