We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown - fun for kids?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cary, North...
Level Contributor
286 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown - fun for kids?

We are considering Playacar Palace for a family vacation next July, mainly for it's proximity to downtown PDC. I have two kids, age 13 and 7, and I am torn between staying at a larger resort (Grand Palladium, Ocean Coral & Turqesa) that has nightly entertainment, or staying at Playacar palace and relying on downtown PDC for our nightly entertainment.

Would kids age 13 and 7 enjoy PDC, or it is mostly just bars, shops, and restaurants for adults?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

Night time is geared for adults on 5th avenue.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

My kids have always loved the action in Playa - shopping, music, street painters, churro cart, ice cream shops, fire dancer show. There are tons of families in Playa in the evenings, locals and tourists.

I actually think they would get bored quicker at the AI.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,167 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

Ditto to mapchick...plus there's the people who dress up in traditional costumes and the square where we saw cultural dances and listened to music etc. I think it would be a great experience for kids. :-)

Cary, North...
Level Contributor
286 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

Mapchick and WIBS - does this stuff go on in the evenings (7 pm to 10 pm or so)?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,167 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

Sure did! :-) And like mapchick said "There are tons of families in Playa in the evenings, locals and tourists."

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

My daughter (7) loved the guys braiding bracelets (in front of park area), the frozen slushy cart up north, and Ah cacao (had to go there twice). Not to mention all the crap aka knicknack stores along the way! We tried to keep her up for the fire show but just couldn't do it (well, either could I).

Your kids will be fine.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

They do have a fireshow about 7 PM at the Paseo del Carmen which is the little square at the beginning of 5th Avenue. This is about 500 yards from the Playacar Palace. The better fireshow is at the Fusion about 10 PM at 6 Calle and the beach. There are not a lot of young kids at Fusion in the evening, but I love to see them. They are so well behaved. This will probably be the first time they have seen a live band, talk about wide big eyes. Toes in the sand, beautiful atmosphere. There are all kinds of street entertainment strolling 5th Avenue. A walk up to 28 Calle and Corsi's gelato shop would definitely be in order.

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
700 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

My children really enjoy their time in Playa. Plenty of visual and verbal stimulation! Make sure you make your way off of 5th toward the beach. Depending on your children's eating habits, the Mcd's and Starbucks are nice sites for some. Yes a McD's burger taste exactly the same in playa as it does in your own town. Amazing how they do that.

Enjoy your time.

Peace

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

The fire show they do at the resort at Playacar Palace takes place on the pool deck, and is really neat to watch. One night while we were lingering in the lobby, there was a magician that came around and did some cool magic tricks for us.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown - fun for kids?

I agree with everyone. My kids (8 and 10) love Playa at night! The shops, painters, fireshows- all great fun. I can't say how it compares to the entertainment at an AI because we have never been, but my children live Playabat night almost as much as the day on the beach.