We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

We have agreed to travel to Playa for a graduation gift for our 18 yr old daughter. we have never been to Playa so are clueless as to resorts etc.

We will be traveling with 3 18yr olds, 3 50 yr olds and possibly 2 70yr olds. total family thing. They want to be close to downtown and we are thinking that all inclusive will work for this group. Girls of course want great pool, on beach and parents wants safety and nice hotel.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

I took my son for his graduation last June. We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya and had a blast. He really liked staying at a "nicer" resort while having the access to walk down to the Riu Tequilla at night for the club.

If it were this year I would stay at the Riu Palace Mexico because it is being renovated and its right across the street from the Tequilla.

Edited: 3:01 pm, October 09, 2012
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

thanks! will look at both of these.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

I'm in agreement with Taco pants :) Great location and great resort options- especially with the refurb :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

Thanks again! sounds like we need to look at Rui Mexico. are they all close to downtown as well?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

20-30 minute walk or 5 minute 70 pesos taxi ride. Walk the beach or sidewalk, lots of great houses, resorts, condos and Mayan ruins to look at.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

It's also an extremely safe area too :) As long as the kids stick together I see no real reason why they can't go to PDC during the day or during the early night hours themselves.

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
633 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

The 3 that are closest to the actual town for close proximity to shopping are:

Gran Porto Real- http://www.realresorts.com/Gran-Porto-Real/

Royal Playa Del Carmen- www.realresorts.com/The-Royal-Playa-Carmen/

Playacar Palace- http://www.palaceresorts.com/playacarpalace/

These are all a 2-3 min walk to 5th Ave with all it's shopping. All are extremely safe, even though they are right in town. We always stay at the Royal and love being able to stroll along 5th after dinner, go to Coco Bongo's and be able to walk back afterwards at 3am. It is only a 7-10 min walk back.

The Royal and Gran Porto are right across the street from each other. If you check out my review of the GPR tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d185…

You can see in my pictures the 4th one is from the roof pool and faces over to the Royal. When you stay at the Royal you have full access to the GPR.

Good luck!!

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

I would suggest The Royal in Playa. Its right off of 5th avenue so every night when you guys are done with dinner you can just walk one block and be where the action is! No worry bout cabs. There are fun places to eat drink and shop at on 5th. Love that area and we have stayed at the Royal before. Its a top notch resort. Rated pretty high here on trip advisor AND I think its still adult only.

San Antonio, Texas
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

Royal Play Del Carmen is RIGHT in the thick of everything. Beautiful property as well...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HS Graduation Trip to Playa - Where to Stay?

thank you so much for all the great advice!!!! i have lots of pics and resorts to look out it sounds like!!!!