We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a beer upon arrival

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a beer upon arrival

We'll be flying into Cancun for our stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical with Westjet Vacations, next Saturday. Can we get a couple of beers or cokes to take on the bus. It's a long drive without anything to drink.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

YES, there is a bar to your right when you walk out of the airport. After you get through customs and immigration you will go through a set of glass sliding doors, turn right and KEEP WALKING until you get outside. Do not stop and talk to anyone. The blue shirt people are just trying to get your to listen to a timeshare presentation. Don't fall for the "looking for your ride" or "do you have just a minute" - just keep walking.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

There are 3 terminals at the Cancun airport. Terminal 1 is for small planes. Terminal 2 is for many European, a few American flights and most of the charter flights. Terminal 3 is where most of the flights from America land.

The outside bars use to be called Coconuts and now is called Margaritaville. As you exit Terminal 2 and go outside, turn to your right and you will see the restaurant and bar. As you exit Terminal 3 walk about 50 ft to your right on a 45 degree angle and you will see Margaritaville. There is a nice baños behind the building as well. The ADO buses and charter buses to resorts is just past Margaritaville. It's been a long time since we exited Terminal 2 and I only assume Coconuts name was changed to Margaritaville.

JeffB gives good advice about those guys you see before you exit the building. Usually they ask to see your transportation papers, but they are timeshare salespeople. They specialize in stealing your valuable vacation time.

Edited: 10:36 am, October 06, 2012
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

All canadian flights (like Westjet) will land in terminal 2

If you get a small van via Westjet, perhaps the driver will stop at a store outside the airport

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

The beverages are pricey at the airport, but well worth it :-)

If you are on a small van instead of a big bus it is a good idea to ask the driver if he will stop - we usually take a small collaspible cooler to keep the beverages cool. It is also nice to see if the driver would like a coke or water as well, they do appreciate it.

I love the drive south after our trip, so great to be there! Enjoy your trip!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

Small van is best as its around $4 to $5 a bottle @ airport but around $1 @ store. Not huge deal while on vacation I just dont like getting ripped off.

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

And don't listen to the ppl in the long hallway even if they yell out "Westjet Vacations!!" because they will just yell out all of the tourp op. names trying to lure you in! Every time I make that walk I have to grab at least one starry eyed person away from them LOL

Once you are outside you will see tour reps with SIGNS , those are the folks you want to go to!!

Have fun.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

I seem to recall coconuts being closed when we were down in march. Too bad cuz we liked to hang out there when waiting for our plane.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

After you push the button for the red or green light (if red you will have to open your luggage for security) just keep walking until you are outside the building (avoid all other personnel). Locate your transfer company (if you are using one) and ask the Rep if they are selling beer. It is much cheaper than the airport prices and often 2 for 1. Have fun!

Kansas
Level Contributor
301 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

Seems like I also recall a couple of folks around the ADO bus departure area pushing around little cooler carts that had beers as well. Only surprise is that they were around $5...I was looking forward to some cheap Sols but had to wait until I arrived at the PDC bus station.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting a beer upon arrival

Westjet usually has vans rather than the big buses - if the driver does stop outside the airport at a store, offer him a pop / water and tip well - and have pesos to make the purchase